Thai Airways full miles credited!

There has been posts how Thai Airways how many miles TG actually credits to your account when you upgrade a flight! I said you get what you fly and others said you get what you have actually booked!

Now here is a very recent observation!

I have booked a flexible economy ticket with my travel agency, it was just 500 Euros from FRA to BKK

According to my miles status I have the max of 2 free round trip upgrades per year, I called in after I got the booking code and upgraded the flight to business class and the lady in Frankfurt sent me an email with the new business class ticket before the conversation was over!

On the airport I have upgraded for 437 Euro from Buiz to First, I couldn't upgrade with miles because I had already upgraded!

Now I am checking my TG account and expected round about 5000 miles for the economy flight i have originally payed for.

Nope it shows 8,361 miles in F class!

My assumption is that if you pay for on upgrade with cash you get the full bonus miles credited if I had upgraded with miles then they would have only credited the economy flight!

Is that correct?

ps

on checkmytrip.com my stats for the flight shows First and for my trip back it shows Business! This seems to proof my theory!

Your combination with a payment on the top was probably more than the computer system could handle.

But, years ago (still having 1st class from Copenhagen), I used the free upgrade you receive with renewing the gold card from the cheapest economy to bíz, TG upgraded one leg to 1st and I got miles for 1st class. 2 years after they found out and took back the difference.

Ha, I flew Qatar last week and upgraded to biz with miles.Checked my mileage account: " fare paid not eligible for miles, zero miles credited"

Sent them an email and they corrected by giving eco miles, but you always have to check...

My Cousin has the theory that Thai Airways simply allows themselves to treat you with the entire first class package and doesn't make a difference if you have upgraded or not, first is first no matter what! It is probably nothing they write in the membership book, it is just another one of these little extras for flying this class!

After all they got rid off the personal complimentary limo service, what is 3000 miles extra compared to that?

"My assumption is that if you pay for on upgrade with cash you get the full bonus miles credited if I had upgraded with miles then they would have only credited the economy flight!

Is that correct?"

Nope.

I did about the same a couple of weeks ago, was credited J on the sector for which I bought a standby upgrade to F and Y on the sector I didn't buy any.

TG does make mistakes though, and already happened to give full miles.

"According to my miles status I have the max of 2 free round trip upgrades per year"

You're sure about that one??? Check again...

Upset with TG, they asked 765US$ yesterday for the standby upgrade... mind sharing how much the upgrade cost you??

The upgrade was 650 USD (not as wrongly stated 437 Euro, the rates converted 473 Euro this date, switched numbers) it is a standard rate before it was only 600USD which was increased with the start of the latest high seasons in Octover 2006! It is not TG style to change their rates for upgrades on any sectors on a daily basis, they last season long. I thought that Paris and Frankfurt would be nearly the same distance and rate the only explanation would be that CDG has higher airport fees or that you have a layover somewhere else which would then explain the higher rate that upsets you.

I have 2 round trip upgrades per year, I don't need to check that, it is written in the membership book:

[color:brown]One round-trip upgrade from the original paid class of service valid for the full 2 year term of Gold status. Very frequent flyers are entitled to one additional upgrade by accruing 50,000 qualifying miles or completing 40 international sectors on THAI during the next complete calendar year after Gold status is attained.[/color]

I am doing almost double as required! My 2 years term renews automatically after one years when acquiring 50000 qualifying miles within the same calender year which makes it 2 free round trip upgrades per year!

However, the original issue was how they credit the miles!

I just booked a flight at the TG Pattaya Office for according to the birthday package conditions which becomes active next month!

The HOT lady told me that depending on the booking class of your initial ticket you get the full miles if your ticket qualifies from ??? to A | F | P This is how it looks on my statement!

The flights in January and May has been upgrades! So it is not a mistake which was assumed earlier, it is what they do, it would help if you can look up your account and see in which booking class you have been upgraded, if it was one of those 3 you should complain and claim the miles! thumb_1179240379-tg.JPG

UG seems to be 650US$ exCDG and Germany, was upset to be asked 26000THB ex BKK, it seems to be a different rate depending on where it originates.

Check that website, many discussions on TG and ROP are on, including one about the standby upgrade on top of the list

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=503

It also talks about the gorld upgrade, pretty tricky issue. Long discussion has been going on. End of the day it SEEMS to come out to 1 upgrade a year for very frequent flyer. It might be because the new gold status is only given after the 2nd year anyway,if you fly 50 000 the first year of membership you become a very frequent flyer but don't earn a new gold membership yet. I have yet to hear from another member that got 2 gold upgrades in a single year - do not mix with the birthday upgrade, which existed untill 2005. I woudl love to get one though.

Miles given for upgrades are a total mess, I did buy a stand by upgrade to F (in a similar situation you described) that just shows J (business) on the statement...just checked and from HKG to BKK it states J while on the way on it stated M(eco) - whereas I bought M and got a gold upgrade to biz, same history but different miles on both ways.

Once was even credited full miles after getting a free operational upgrade. A bit messy. You can keep the HOT lady but the miles would be welcome.

If you don't mind I take the miles and the hot lady which is hopefully under 30 ;)

Never ever had the most minor issue with TG. They are so generous and supportive and whatever these flyer talk people say you gotta know that bad news sprad faster than good news and the happy people dont even bother to report!

I am flying round about 190000 miles year which qualifies me almost 4 times for gold each year! I know what their rules are and I know what it means and hoe the 2 years period renews, I am glad I never had a problem with that and as reported before, when I show up with an Eco Ticket and they have room at buiz I get the upgrade automatically, which is definitely because the stuff already knows my first name. Always the same people there! Of course you won't experience anything like that on an Air France operated counter, they dont have the freedom to do that!

I fly around 40,000 or 50,000 miles every year, normally in premium economy (before economy de luxe) giving 10 % extra. I sometimes pay for biz giving 25 % extra but the service isn't that much better that it motivates the extra price.

Now the premium economy price from Copenhagen is 80 k baht (before 70 k). As long as the economy price is high I pay for premium economy, the price gets lower instead I use miles instead for upgrading a eco ticket to premium - 20 k miles for each leg.

As an extra plus for TG they upgrade me from premium to biz if the plane is full except in biz, they upgrade me to biz, 1 guy with gold from eco to premium and brings in 1 from stand-by. This happens 50 % of my trips.

Archived