Thai Beverage may offer premium beer

elef

Bangkok Post

Today

Link

Thai Beverage may offer premium beer

WORANUJ MANEERUNGSEE

Kamphaeng Phet _ Thai Beverage Plc, the producer of Chang beer, is considering launching a premium beer in order to extend its reach to all segments of the market.

The brewer is now doing research ahead of the possible introduction of a premium beer in the third or fourth quarter, according to Pisanu Vichiensanth, a director and senior vice-president of the company controlled by billionaire Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi.

Mr Pisanu, who oversees ThaiBev's three production plants, said premium beer with lower alcohol content and less bitterness was becoming a significant trend in global beer markets.

Singapore-listed ThaiBev has made its main impact so far in the standard and economy segments of the market.

Thailand's 90-billion-baht beer market is classified in three segments. The premium segment is dominated by Heineken, with other players including Kloster, Asahi and San Miguel. Singha, brewed by ThaiBev's main local rival, leads the standard segment, with competitors including Chang Light and Blue Ice.

The economy segment is dominated by Chang and also includes Leo, Archa and Cheers.

Mr Pisanu said the alcohol content in the new premium beer would likely be no more than 5.4%, compared with 6-7% for other products.

''We are even discussing whether the bottle colour should be green or brown,'' he said, noting that brown tended to be associated with downmarket products.

''For scientific reasons, I definitely agree that the bottle should be brown as its UV (ultra violet) protection rate is as high as 95%, but green would be only 45%. UV is the main factor that destroys the flavour of the beer.''

In the budget market, ThaiBev is considering exporting Archa, launched in 2004, to other markets in Asia. Archa, a lighter beer with 5.4% alcohol content, is positioned as the group's ''fighting brand'' in the economy segment.

Archa beer for export would be brewed at Cosmos Brewery (Thailand) in Wang Noi, Ayutthaya, to take advantage of proximity to Bangkok and reduced transport costs. Cosmos Brewery has annual production capacity of 120 million litres.

To serve the local market, ThaiBev uses two other breweries. Beer Thip Brewery (1991) Co Ltd oversees the Bang Ban site in Ayutthaya and Beer Thai (1991) is responsible for the Kamphaeng Phet operation.

The Bang Ban brewery has an annual capacity of 530 million litres and Kamphaeng Phet 900 million. The latter is the largest brewery in Asia and supplies only the kingdom's northern and northeastern regions. Bang Ban is responsible for the central and other regions.

Mr Pisanu said that since the group's production capacity was massive, separate business operations had increased management efficiency.

All three plants also have combined drinking water and soda water production capacity of 700 million litres a year.

ThaiBev, which also has several liquor and spirits brands, reported consolidated revenue in the first quarter of 25.9 billion baht, up 11.4% from the same period last year. Beer sales revenue rose 16.2% to 12.5 billion baht.

...premium beer with lower alcohol content and less bitterness was becoming a significant trend in global beer markets.

The title was promising, but the way they are approaching it sounds like they will end up with Budweiser. The goal should not be on reducing alcohol and removing bitterness. The goal should simply be to make a good tasting beer!

Maybe this is all smoke and mirrors and all they are doing is start to make Mittweida again.

I guess they'll copy one beer belonging to their former partner Carlsberg again (Chang is a better copy of Carlsberg Elephant) - Sort Guld (Black Gold)which is 5.8 % is my favourite but probably they choose Carlsber Export 5.1 % instead.

I wish someone would get Tuborg out here! I love that beer... used to drink it all the time for the short period I lived in Denmark.

Got off-my-face on the brewery tour in Copenhagen as well... free beer at the end of the tour, and as many as you can down in 30 minutes! :thumbup:

The brewery is closed??? That's sad.

There was another really nice beer I had when I travelled in Sweden... Falcon?

It was good. If there's 3 things Scandanavians can do well it is: put on a smorgasbord, make beer and be good at dirty sex. (The girls that is - not sure about the guys!)

I think Carlsberg produce all big brands in a new factory in Glostrup, Copenhagen - so most Carlsbergs and Tuborgs, small ones however in the old factory near the Zoo.

Falcon is also owned by Carlsberg... :D

I was in Istanbul in '98, no beer in the hotel so I walked across to the shop across the road with less than a hopeful heart.

They had cartons of Tuborg stacked everywhere and a fridge was full of it, and it was cheaper than soft drink. I had to make two trips to carry some back.

Sure someone told me there was a brewery in Turkey.

Archived