sanuk in chiang mai and chiang rai

peter

Chiang Mai - three go-go's spotlight, Johns place, star six all within a walk or 10 mim tuk-tuk drive of each other. loi krah rd is where all the girlie bar beers as is star six. The other bars are all on moonmuang [or close] the same as spotlight and johns, there are a few bars in the night bazaar area. There are also lots of Thai bars around but as a tourist I wouldn't bother with them unless you can speak reasonable Thai.Massage isn't my bag so I can't really let you know on this.

It's nothing like Bangkok or Pattaya but the girls are a lot less mercenary than these areas.

Chiang Rai - a dead loss really there's a couple of awful go-go type establishments with a lot of underage scared looking girls - if this is your thing you would be a very sad person if not avoid it.

There's nowhere like Thermae in CM or CR,and the bar scene here is somewhat tamer.Lots of hilltribe girls (if you like them) in the bar beers. Spotlight is the best Go-Go bar.At least there are some pretty Isan girls there and they'll talk to Farang customers,unlike John's Place/Cozy Corner (whatever name the go-go part of that establishment is now using.I can't keep track as they've switched the names round a couple of times and I never remember which is which!) where the girls only seem to approach the Thai customers.

The present crackdown by the Interior Minister has seen all the bars shut at MIDNITE this week while he's visiting,possibly to be extended to 1 am after he returns to Bangkok Sunday.There's nowhere to go out late any more,as Nice Illusiobn (the live Band Disco which used to stay open till 6 am.Everyone went there after the bars close) is alos being forced to close at 1 am sharp (all out immediately,no hanging around!)

I wouldn't say the girls are a lot less mercenary here (at least some of them). A Lisu girl in a Beer Bar behind Chiang INN Hotel wanted 3,000 Baht or a new mobile phone (value 5,000 Baht!) for a night.Alright she was pretty,but no-one need pay more than 1,000-1,500 Baht a night max!

Quite a few of the girls are desperate for some money at present as there are no customers right now. A nice girl from Ubon at Fillmore (Loi Khroa Rd) wanted to go with me as she hadn't had any customers in 10 days and needed money for the rent. Before some smart*ss says anything, NO she was not so desperate she HAD TO ask me, I was the only customer in the bar at the time and I'm a friendly chap.I gave her a 100 Baht tip in compensation,as I was busy that night!

Things will probably have changed by January as it's busy time then!

Had a big surprise during a recent visit to Chiang Rai. The Wiang Inn there has a very decent fishbowl massage parlor. There were 3 or 4 very pretty girls there--about 20 or 25 girls in all. Prices were high unfortunately--1200 baht for the regular girls, and 1500 for the superstars, who, as usual, looked no better than the regular girls. Didn't partake, but it's nice to know it's there. I also found their street and a half of beer and go go bars to be surprisingly pleasant.

Just got a call from a friend who was up in Chiang Rai this past weekend. He says that all the gogos in Chiang Rai are now closed as a result of the "crackdown". Not sure if it is permanent. He also tells me that the Mae Sai shops near the bridge are all closed as well.

It just keeps getting weirder, doesn't it?

Archived