Passing on Acct to G/F - More Info

zanemay

I thought I'd do this in a new post because people might not read the old post anymore...

My original idea was that I would get an ATM card for my g/f but not give her the PIN. Some people saw problems with that.

One suggestion was that I make my Thai g/f the beneficiary, payable on death, for my Bangkok Bank account. That would be best, but I went and talked to an account rep - can't do it. He said I have to go to a lawyer. I don't want to go to a lawyer.

So I told him about my original idea. I give g/f an ATM card, but not the PIN. If I die my sister gives her the PIN via email or phone. It was suggested in responses to my first post that my account would be frozen if I died. It was also suggested that it would be suspicious or unlawful for someone to be taking money from an account of a deceased. I only raised the first question with the banker. He said the account would not be frozen. He didn't seem to have any problem with g/f taking money out if I died.

So, given that response from the banker, does anyone see a problem with getting a 2nd ATM card for the g/f? It will cost me 200 baht per year.

Thanks,

Zane

I'm still thinking about a situation where the card isn't working or stops working at the time she receives the pin-code or after. How can you fix that she gets the money - or do you want the bank to take it all?

Hello Zane,

I have thought about the same problem. If I am with a woman for a long time I would like to set her up with a monthly income when I die. That may not be for 15 years or more and I intend to stay in Thailand until then. And I don't know who I may want to leave money to at that time so something fluid would have to be set up. Maybe some sort of a living trust that I could easily change.

I am interested in any ideas that might come up on this thread.

I do not think that it would be in my best interests to have a Thai lady know that my death would benefit her.

zen

I think I would have a trust problem with a bank that was happy to see funds disappearing from the account of a dead customer :shocked: , still if it's a Thai bank, I suppose you can expect anything to happen :surprised: Why not just leave instructions for the payment with the executor of your estate, your lawyer will act as executor if you have no one who you can trust to carry out your wishes

quote pe7e"I think I would have a trust problem with a bank that was happy to see funds disappearing from the account of a dead customer."

Actually they would not know if the account owner were dead until someone told them. I wonder what that procedure might be. If the account were to turn up empty after the death I doubt that there would be a problem.

"Why not just leave instructions for the payment with the executor of your estate, your lawyer will act as executor if you have no one who you can trust to carry out your wishes."

Good advice. But Zane needs to only transfer the local account over to his g/f and could do that through a trusted friend but what to do to insure a Thai girlfriend or wife is taken care of. Keep in mind my observation on an earlier post that "I do not think that it would be in my best interests to have a Thai lady know that my death would benefit her.". I am not the only person to have this thought.

Maybe I should start a thread under Relationships?

zen

Hi Zane,

It is not clear if you intend to leave your Thai g/f something to take care of her for years or just a few hundred thousand baht in order to take care of her for awhile. I assume the latter.

My problem is taking care of a long term relationship and not putting myself in jeopardy. A few friends have told me stories about things that have happened to them and most just for, small, short term gains. These women do not think ahead very well.

Have anyone seen anything regarding this on the Relationships forum?

zen

• 2 weeks later...

Okay...Having taken it all in and also having sought more info AND now put plan is in place.

BTW the total amount in the account would be 500,000 - 800,000 baht.

It's not foolproof, but here is what I know...

The best way to do this is with a Will. I hate lawyers more than anything in the world. They are a cancer, but still I had my gf go to one and ask how much and he said 15,000 baht minimum. No f.king way, scumbag!

As someone pointed out, the bank would not know if I was dead, but I told her to pull the money out quickly. Anyway, the bank officer seemed very experienced and he said the acct would not be closed.

I cannot put this in the hands of my current executor, because that's my USA g/f, the one who will get everything else, which a much more. I do have a will and a trust in the USA. They won't even know about this account.

The only person who will know is my sister and she said she would communicate the PIN to Thai g/f. Sister understands everything and of course wants to see everyone taken care of. She is the definition of "jai dee."

So that's it. The g/f has a card. I'll check it every few months.

Thanks for all the tips,

Zane May

Archived