Crackdown Makes Intl News

Lamock Chokaprret

Rictic quoting the Phuket Gazette quoting Interior Minister Purachai Piemsombun:

quote:

"I don't care what the foreign media says. The government knows what it is doing."

From the Bangkok Post today: PM blasts bearers of bad tidings

quote:

Mr Thaksin and Mr Somkid wanted an end to what they perceived as "destructive comments"

Guess these guys just don't take criticism too well!

[ September 11, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

All-

I was just in Vancouver (Canada) yesterday and it's news up there also...!!!

I even got a email from a colleague in Mexico (another sanook-rich place). He was worried the the 'scene' would be destroyed...

Hope this doesn't spead to a panic!

--UPSer shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0

Thai reply to International comments, taken from the Phuket Gazette.

BANGKOK (AFP): Interior Minister Purachai Piemsombun has lashed out at the foreign media for its criticism of his “social evils” campaign which, he claims, is aimed at ridding Thailand of drugs and underage drinking.

Purachai attacked a report in Time magazine that he thinks suggests that his crusade to shut down nightclubs, bars and karaoke joints by 2:00am is merely an attempt to boost the government's popularity.

“I don't care what the foreign media says. The government knows what it is doing,” he said, according to reports yesterday. “These media don’t wish our country well.”

The minister accused some media outlets of being “tools of big capitalists” who wanted to control the country.

“Do you think foreign publications are free? They are under the control of their sponsors, who can order them to turn left or right,” he said. “We are a sovereign nation and don't take orders from foreign countries.”

The Time article backed the initiative to clean up Bangkok’s fleshpots, but said it smacked of tokenism and failed to address tough issues like “closed” brothels where young girls are held in conditions of virtual slavery.

“Bangkok will resume its historic role as a sex tourist’s paradise as soon as the minister has garnered enough law-and-order headlines,” said the column on the magazine’s internet site.

Purachai denies that his “new social order” campaign is a publicity stunt. He also dismisses warnings that his heavy-handed implementation of the campaign, including police raids on up-scale nightclubs and on-the-spot urine tests of tourists (to detect illegal drugs) would harm tourism.

UPSer:

>I even got a email from a colleague in >Mexico (another sanook-rich place). He was >worried the the 'scene' would be >destroyed...

It won't be distroyed but it will change a bit - I guess. Hit the scene earlier ? Less time for the second round - perhaps ?

If you can't stand the changing scene I guess there are always other alternatives eg. Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.

quote:

I don't care what the foreign media says. The government knows what it is doing

Well, that's a novelty in itself - a government that KNOWS what its doing laugh.gif" border="0

And what the heck is this about on the spot urine-tests - do they think we can p*ss to order crazy.gif" border="0

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Zurial ]

quote:

Originally posted by kohMarco:

"A survey earlier this year showing that a growing number of students and even schoolgirls were selling sex to pay for fashionable clothes and mobile phones "

so where the hell are the schoolgirls?

soi cowboy "after school" of course

Here is a letter I sent into the bangkok post.

It's absolutely rediculous. The bars close at 1, 1.30 in Bangkok or 2 in pataya. Some of the girls, not ready to go home end up walking around in the street. Nana turns into Hollywood Bld. So ok, you say well its disrespectful to have dancing girls and patrons of these establishments partying all night. What is so disrespectful about leaving the small bars alone. The ones that just serve beer and spirit (no bar fines). Some of these places truely don't want to shut shop and have to continue to operate with the doors partially closed to avoid detection from the police. I have found myself sitting on the footpath surrounded by other party goers, buying beer from the seven eleven, watching the local strays walking up and down.

What do you think?

Archived