Royal City Avenue - for Thai yuppies only?

Originally posted by frogpatrol:

"About the Siam Hotel, I would be cautious unless things have eased up. It has been mentioned in more than one newspaper article on police sweeps, and is very much in the public eye these days. So, at a minimum, take care."

After having been raided sometimes several times at night, the Siam Hotel coffee shop is back to normal. A friend of mine saw six uniformed policemen in there - happily drinking beer and listening to the band!

Let it be said, though, and I've mentioned that before in some thread, that the rate of AIDS among the women there seems to be on the higher side. I know of several women who had been working there right until they succumbed to the disease.

Other than that, no need to "take care". Even during the raids, the male patrons were never harrassed; only the women were taken to the police station and fined 500 Baht - after which they went right back to look for customers and make up for the loss.

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I like that, Suppose. "Tuppence worth" - I think I'll try it out on my students Monday and see what transpires".

Good stuff. I think it would be great to have young thais coming out with old English expressions. Would certainly make me smile smile.gif" border="0

How was it received ?

Originally posted by SUPPOSE:

"I like that, Suppose. "Tuppence worth" - I think I'll try it out on my students Monday and see what transpires".

And then see if they can understand this one: 'So-and-so is some tuppence ha'penny singer' (or writer/actor/whatever).

They don't make expressions like that any more, do they.

Archived