John Burdett on NPR

FreeTime

Good find. I thought Bangkok 8 was an excellent book but there's something disingenuous about Burdett. He's a lawyer, which is fine, but I've never quite forgiven him for apologizing to the the Thai constabulary at the beginning of the book.

I took the liberty of linking directly to the article...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=13761137

I liked BKK8 and enjoyed BKK Tattoo nearly as much. The books have been slagged off by a lot of expats for various reasons but I thought they were both a good read.

I'll be watching out for BKK Haunts and am pleased to hear he's planning a fourth.

Have recently finished Bangkok Haunts - I don't think I'll be spoiling anything to say that it's pretty much like the first two: some great snapshots of Bangkok life, hung on a very rickety frame of supposed plot. Of course, the first time you read this style - Bangkok 8 - it's a lot more fun than on subsequent reads - Tattoo, Haunts - but I'll keep reading as long as he keeps writing these, there are enough passages that entertain and give me a happy glimpse of Thailand that I can put up with the silly quasi-plots. Strangely, his farang remain unbelieveable, two-dimensional characters, while his Thai characters have much more life.

So, Burdett, what's your board name?! Ah, just kidding - enjoy your anonymity, keep taking inspiration from the resources on the board, and have fun in Thailand! Thanks for the good reads -

YimSiam

Archived