Wink Dulles

monochrome man

I saw some postings on lonely planet, and soc.culture.thai and another couple of sites.

Apparently (and I think it is true unfortunately) he got knocked off his motorbike on his way to a market, his fiancee got injured too, Wink died due to these injuries, I think this was in June or July.

I was one of Wink's first friends in Thailand when he got here aroun 92/93, I sort of showed him the ropes, then lost touch with him on his first trip to Vietnam in around 93/94.

When I saw the news a few weeks ago it was very sad and very strange.

How did you know him ?

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=wink+dulles&hl=en&group=soc.culture.thai&safe=off&rnum=1&selm=3b6b8e3f.1074282%40news.loxinfo.co.th

Search Result 1

Subject: Winke Dulles Dead

Newsgroups: soc.culture.thai

View complete thread (10 articles)

Date: 2001-08-03 22:53:40 PST

From off yesterday's Lonely Planet Thorn Tree.

Wink Dulles, 44, was killed on June 24, 2001. He was driving his

motorcycle to the market with his fiance on the back and was hit by

another motorcycle and died at the scene. Wink was a well known

columnist for Trips, Action Asia, The Toronto Sun and other

publications. He was also the author of a number of Fielding's and

other travel guides to Asia and contributor and former co-author of

The World's Most Dangerous Places.

He lived in Thailand and loved South East Asia. His fiancee is still

recovering in the hospital.

He will be missed greatly by his friends and those that knew him.

RYP

WOW,

I'm very sorry to hear the news. I've exchanged e-mails with Wink, but never had the chance to meet him.

I used to be a member of the Black Flag forum on RYP's site.

This guy was a very good writer and made trips most folks wouldn't consider.

I'll miss his stories.

quote:

Originally posted by Swishtz:

I saw some postings on lonely planet, and soc.culture.thai and another couple of sites.

Apparently (and I think it is true unfortunately) he got knocked off his motorbike on his way to a market, his fiancee got injured too, Wink died due to these injuries, I think this was in June or July.

I was one of Wink's first friends in Thailand when he got here aroun 92/93, I sort of showed him the ropes, then lost touch with him on his first trip to Vietnam in around 93/94.

When I saw the news a few weeks ago it was very sad and very strange.

How did you know him ?

Swishtz,

Thanks for your response. I never met Wink, but wish I had. Years ago, Zen Buckaroo recommended one of his guides. I read it and thought it was the most informative Thai/SEAsia guide I'd seen. I especially liked the way he didn't avoid mentioning the pay-for-play scene, unlike other guides.Fielding must take some credit for this, I guess. I also saw his postings elsewhere. People always seemed to speak positively about him. I was sad to hear of his passing.

Your link has possibly opened new avenues for me. I always wanted to explore the soc. newsgroups etc., but the only way I knew into them was via Outlook Express. I don't get on with this programme, so never bothered. Believe it or not, although I've used www.google.com for ages I never knew about groups.google.com. Thanks again for your reply.

Wink was a great guy, was the spitting image of Mel Gibson and played a mean guitar.

I met him when he was learning the ropes in BKK, he came into my bar for a drink and we started talking, and hung out all the time, I seem to remember always giving him woman advice, he was looking for that perfect girl to marry I guess, and kept finding the troublemakers ..

I was always curious as to what happened to him ,because last I saw him he was just writing regular travel guides, then when we were in Phuket he left to go to Vietnam for a week. He had his room paid up and waiting in Condotel in Patong. That was the last I saw of him, so I guess he found what he was after in Vietnam at that time (93). I never realized he became so well known.

Not sure if anyone knows a guy from LA called Mikey who had long hair at the time and used to bring lots of jeans and stuff to give out to the girls ? Me him and Wink hung out a lot in those days. Especially in the old Thermae and Cowboy.

Archived