Dengue fever outbreak hits parts of Asia

Flashermac

HANOI, Vietnam - The worst outbreak of dengue fever in years has hit Southeast Asia, prompting the World Health Organization to call for better prevention campaigns as experts question whether global warming is partly to blame.

Cambodia, Indonesia, Vietnam and Thailand have all experienced large outbreaks. Most of the victims are children who arrive at hospitals burning up with fever and crying from intense joint pain, a common symptom of the so-called "bone-breaker" disease.

There is no vaccine or cure for the four different varieties of the mozzie-borne virus spreading within the region. Even though outbreaks in several countries appear to be waning, many patients are still falling ill.

Link

friend of mine caught two types, simultaniously, in cambodia a few years back. no symptoms at first until she just collapsed after lunch one afternoon. emergency evac to bangkok where she spend better part of a week in ic. suffered permanent damage to internal organs but happy to be alive...

most expats i knew in pp have had dengue...i've been a lucky exeption...knock on wood...

Archived