HINGIS SHOCKER

sayjann

A little more..........Hingis to wear the taint of a cheat

Martina Hingis, one of the greatest players of her generation and winner of three Australian Open titles, will forever wear the taint of a drug cheat.

The Swiss five-time Grand Slam champion left the sport yesterday after revealing she had tested positive for cocaine at Wimbledon and is contemplating not taking any action to clear her name.

Hingis, who denies having taken the drug, said she provided a positive urine sample after her straight-sets, third-round defeat by American Laura Granville.

Hingis has won $US20million in prizemoney during her career, but the prizemoney she collected at her last Wimbledon might have to be handed back.

"The onus now falls to the athlete to show either there was an error made in the sampling - the way it was collected or analysed - or to present any mitigating circumstances," Richard Ings, chief executive of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, said.

If Hingis fails to do this, she will be banned for two years, whether she is retired or not, and will have to forfeit her Wimbledon prizemoney of $US50,422 and the 90 WTA rankings points.

The story could have been different if Hingis had been tested 24 hours after she was bundled out of Wimbledon, rather than on the day of the defeat.

"If it had been a day later then it would have been classified as an out-of-competition test and stimulants like cocaine are not prohibited out of competition," Ings said. "It is not banned under the WADA code because you are not trying to enhance your performance with a stimulant in between matches because you can't bascially. On match days it would pump you up and make you more you more aggressive and give you more energy - that's why it is tested."

Both Hingis's 'A' and 'B' urine samples were found to be positive for cocaine metabolites.

"They say that cocaine increases self-awareness and creates a type of euphoria," Hingis said in a statement read in Switzerland. "I don't know. I only know that if I were to try to hit the ball while in any state of euphoria, it simply wouldn't work."

The 27-year-old implored her fans to remember she had always been open and honest with everyone and stressed she had "never taken drugs".

But somehow cocaine has turned up in her body.

Hingis said her legal team had organised independent tests using a hair from her head, which showed no traces of cocaine. Ings said WADA did not recognise the hair test.

Ings, who was a tennis chair umpire for the ATP from 1986-93 during the McEnroe, Connors and Lendl eras and from 2001-05 headed up the ATP's anti-doping code, stressed Hingis was innocent until proven guilty.

She claims her lawyers and an expert in the doping field have found "various inconsistencies" with the urine sample taken at Wimbledon.

"He is also convinced that the doping officials mishandled the process and would not be able to prove that the urine that was tested for cocaine actually came from me," Hingis said.

But in the next breath Hingis said it had been pointed out to her it could take years to clear her name through the various tribunals and appeal processes.

"And this is the reason for my (retirement) announcement," she said. "I have no desire to spend the next several years of my life redcued to fighting against doping officials."

Two years ago Canadian tennis player Simon Larose tested positive for cocaine and swore he had never used it.

It was later found that he went to a party and was offered a cannabis cigarette. He smoked it, but did not know it had been fortified with cocaine. He was banned for two years and retired from the ATP tour.

Larose said he wanted people to know he did not support drug use and he was not trying to cheat.

Hingis maintains that same innocence, although she has no explanation of how the drug came into her system.

And after a career that produced so much fine tennis and so many incredible victories out of the relatively slight frame of 59kg and 170cm, it is easy to agree she is no cheat.

Hingis defied the logic that you had to be a powerful blaster of the ball such as Martina Navratilova, Serena Williams and Amelie Mauresmo.

Her strength was that she was so accurate in her groundstrokes, so relentless in covering the court and getting every ball back.

She had no one weapon like a huge first serve. Hingis merely got every ball back and never gave up.

Her mental strength broke most opponents. A strength that drugs cannot produce or enhance.

But she is proud of what she has achieved since her comeback in 2005 after three years off with ankle injuries. She rose back to the top 10 but a nagging hip injury only added to the temptation to retire.

"I'm 27 years old and, realistically, too old to play top class tennis," Hingis said.

That might be news to defending Australian Open champion Williams, who turns 27 next year, Lindsay Davenport, 32, and Mauresmo, 28.

If she was given a two-year ban, Hingis would be 29 before she would be allowed to play again and it seems the fight is finally gone from her.

"There is only one more thing for me to do: to thank all of you for many years of goodwill and also to assure you I have never taken drugs," she said.

Copied excerpt from an article.

Hingis then asked the reporter whether he thought she could get back close to the top. "Only if you are 100 percent committed, because the way things sound from you now, you already have one foot out the door and teenagers will blow right past you," the reporter responded.

Archived