Surin

Will be taking a trip through Surin province and thought I might spend a few days. I know many of the BGs are originally from this area, but how is the nightlife locally? Is it difficult to locate? Is it only for locals? Any advice would be appreciated!

quote:

Originally posted by Sadebugo:

Will be taking a trip through Surin province and thought I might spend a few days. I know many of the BGs are originally from this area, but how is the nightlife locally? Is it difficult to locate? Is it only for locals? Any advice would be appreciated!

If you are talking about the town itself I think it would be well worth spending a few days. I was there a couple of weeks ago for the elephant round-up and despite the fact that the entire town was submerged in elephant shit, we had a good time there. It is a decent sized place, nice relaxed atmosphere and it does have an easily-accessible nightlife zone. One of the two major tourist hotels, the Thong Tarin, is right next to it and is a very good value place to stay. Should cost about B800 for a nice double including a decent buffet breakfast with non-stop coffee.

The hotel itself has a mucky massage place discretely hidden round the back though when we visited a couple of hours before closing it was EXTREMELY short of girls. Definitely worth a look though - I would not let on that you are staying at the hotel and try to find the local price first - we were quoted B1500 which may have been double the normal rate.

At the entrance to the hotel is a big disco with singers and a show which we did not investigate. However in a small soi to the left of the hotel entrance there is plenty of entertainment to get you through a night or two. From what I remember this soi contained:

a couple of nice looking, and busy restaurants

a couple of small discos, RCA style, young hip, studenty crowd but no apparent attitude and no problem with some grumpy old farangs busting in on their fun (I was there with Cent Scrutinizer and Mysterious Max, both of this parish)

one big disco, Hollywood/Dance Fever style - live bands, dancers etc

a couple of karaoke places, one of which we drank and sang in until 4.00 am (it was called 'Hollywood' I think, though the sign is in Thai) with a gay guy who approached us in the big disco and invited us to, which we weren't terribly keen on until he introduced us to his sister and her 5 mates who all came too!! They were all good lasses, all graduates but the majority were far from unattractive and they hardly drank a drop of the bottle we shared so it was very good value for a couple of hours of fun and laughter and terrible singing.

Strangest of all was, to my knowledge, Surin's only gogo bar. If you go to the end of this strip, the last bar on the left, upstairs, is a very odd gogo bar. Decent size, big screen TVs showing the football, nice food and reasonably priced drinks and then on stage, two at a time, fully clothed girls dancing (!) to the usual old bollocks that anything up to 4 DJs were playing. I think the clothes probably came off later on but we left around midnight. There were several diddling cubicles around the perimeter, I THINK you pay the girls to sit with you by request through the waitresses but I'm not sure - can't imagine why such an eligible trio weren't swamped otherwise!! At one point a girl stood up in the middle of the bar completely naked but that was about as raunchy as it got (better than Bangkok at the moment!!)

I would really like to have spent a few days there just getting a feel for the place and I will have more stories at the weekend from Cent who has been there for a few weeks now.

One thing that really tickled me was that during this major tourist festival, probably the only one of the year, they seemed totally incapable of cashing in by selling loads of tacky souvenirs. Hardly saw a t-shirt of amy relevance and when I tried to buy some postcards at the hotel (the only place I could find with any at all) the best they could come up with was one of the Khmer temple ruins in neighbouring Buriram!!

Anyway, enjoy your visit and do post a report. I would like to go back.

LG

Archived