The house party

alexgb

Reading 'The Wedding' I found many similarities with the recent new house party that I paid for.

My girlfriend already considers that we are 'married' though we have not gone through any ceremonies as yet.

She has taken over her mothers land and knocked down the shack that was there.A basic but decent new house was built on the site.When I came over to try and get a visa for her for a Uk visit I was persuaded that a large house warming party was required. Starting off early morning with the nine monks (7 local plus her grandfather and assistant) The grandfather is in his late eighties and is the Abbot at a rural Wat.He is quite sprightly for an old guy.I have known him for nearly two years and he has always been friendly towards me.

The feeding the monks ceremony was the start with all the older local ladies involved.Moved on to the house blessing,prayers etc.Granddad then wrote good luck symbols above the doors and string was wound round the house in all about 60 people involved.Everyone was fed.The monks got 1000 baht each in an envelope.Had to pay for a hired canopy and chairs as well.

The evening had been arranged with a big party at the government hall. A huge barn of a place with a stage at one end.Nok had booked caterers, 25 tables of 10 @100b a head. This was exceeded considerably as nearly 320 turned up and HAD to be fed.All of this is about face in the local community.Extra tables and chairs came out of the store and as there was an outdoor market going on outside extra food was bought.This also meant the drink budget was blown as well.The band and dancers were another 14k baht.

We had to greet all the guests on arrival and received numerous cash envelopes.At the half way point in the evening the Kumnan got us up on the stage to be embarrassed by his oration then a family friend,a police colonel,did it all again not my favorite place up in front of around 350 people and then asked to thank everyone for coming in Thai. We must have been up there half an hour,boy both of them could rabbit on about nearly nothing,indefinitely.Eventually after repeating everything about four times they decided that was enough!A couple of tables were reserved for the local top brass who ALWAYS make a deliberate late entrance.(they got better whiskey but the same food) They turned up in large Mercs and we had to rush to greet them mostly aubitors and the local MP.Her family know everyone and she had difficulty restricting numbers she said!All I know it cost an arm and a leg!

Then we moved from table to table being photographed as we went,and got even more cash envelopes.Total cash received was less than 20% of the total costs though.Music singing and dancing went on into the night.With the usual Thais getting up doing solo spots.Eventually it came to an end.Or so I thought and we went home.

On arrival I noticed her best friends and relatives followed.The Party continued into the early morning,and we got to bed about 5.30am.

At 8 she gets a phone call,and immediately bursts into tears. A favorite uncle has died. He had been at the house blessing,but had felt unwell,and not come to the party.He was only 47!Up we get and off to commiserate with her Aunty,totally knackered as there was a night before late party as well.

Probably I will be expected to do this all again for a temple wedding next year better start saving up now!

Archived