Couple of legal questions

mongatu

Ok, first, is there any limit on bringing the following into LOS:

1. Roasted ground coffee

2. Perfume

And, once in LOS, is it legal to carry a non-assisted opening, locking or non locking folding pocket knife of any or what length concealed on ones person? For example is it legal to carry something like a non locking Swiss Army Knife, or a locking folder with a 3" blade, or what? I know many bars prohibit weapons of any kind, but I am just talking about what it is legal to carry in LOS while being out and about and not in the bars.

Duty Payment

If you are bringing back with you an item you did not have it when you left Thailand and/or items with total combined value more than Baht 10,000, these items are subject to import taxes and duties. A flat rate of duty will be applied on the dutiable items provided that:

· The dutiable items are intended for personal use;

· They are at a reasonable quantity and not intended for commercial use, business, or trade purposes;

· The total value is not exceeding 80,000 Baht; and

· Passengers are able to pay taxes and duties in cash on the date of arrival.

If the passengers fail to comply any of the above-mentioned criteria and conditions, the dutiable items will be sent to a warehouse for a formal entry process. The goods are held under Customs control until a formal entry process has been completed. You will not be able to take the goods with you from the airport.

Duty Free Allowance

The duty free allowance will be applied to accompanied personal effects up to Bath 10,000 worth if i) the items are intended for your own personal or professional uses; ii) the quantity are reasonable; and iii) the items are not subject to prohibition or restriction.

However, there are limits on the amount of alcoholic beverages, cigarettes, cigars and smoking tobacco to which you may include in your duty free personal exemption as follows:

· 200 cigarettes or 250 grams of cigars or smoking tobacco

· 1 litre of spirituous liquor.

Personal effects do not include motor vehicles and motor vehicle parts regardless of the length of time used and owned.

Don't know about the knife, you'll probably get plenty of opinions.

Well according to that, everyone who brings a personal laptop into Thailand and/or a decent camera would have to pay duty on it and I don't think that happens very often.

Imo, they really need to rewrite and adjust their customs laws to a more reasonable current reality. Most people these days typically travel with more like $2 to $3k dollars US worth of personal stuff like that.

Archived