Another female gov for Obama

Flashermac

OLYMPIA, Wash. -- Washington Gov. Chris Gregoire endorsed Barack Obama for president Friday, providing a last-minute lift to the Illinois senator on the eve of the state's hotly contested Democratic caucuses.

Gregoire, announcing her choice in an interview with The Associated Press, said that taking sides in the close contest for the Democratic nomination was tough, given her great admiration for Sen. Hillary Clinton.

But she said Obama is a charismatic and skilled leader who can bring the country together, help solve nagging problems, and restore the country's image abroad.

Fellow Govs. Janet Napolitano of Arizona and Kathleen Sebelius of Kansas also have endorsed Obama.

Gregoire said she was heavily lobbied by both Obama and Clinton and others in both camps. She said she talked with Obama four times, including a 30-minute conversation that impressed her with his grasp of health care and Washington state-specific issues.

She said Obama was delighted when she told him Thursday of her decision, and that she dreaded telling Clinton.

"I gave it a lot of thought and it was a very difficult decision because I think Democrats and the nation are very blessed to have two outstanding candidates, both of whom would make a great president.

"Back when I was 18 years old, if anyone had told me in my lifetime we would have a choice between the first woman president and the first African American, I would have laughed out loud," she said. "They are both breaking the glass ceiling if you will."

Gregoire said Obama brings hope and inspiration to young and old alike.

"He is leading us toward a positive feeling of hope in our country and I love seeing that happen," she said. "I believe the nation faces significant challenges domestically and internationally and Obama is the person who has the ability to reach across artificial divides and move our national forward. Barack is that kind of leader."

Burn the witch

Archived