Having things shipped

DocThai

I came to work in LOS more than 5 years ago but kept things in storage back in the USA. Last year I sold most of my things but still have 6 large boxes of personal items (photo albums, dvds, knick knacks etc). Now I want them sent over here but I understand I get no duty free allowance because it has been more than six months that I have been living here.

What are my options? I thought about using a company that will do door to door delivery but they want $1,500 and no guarantee that I won't be charged duty, compared to $450 for a port to port shipment of one cubic meter.

Any suggestions?

What I can tell you, having shipped a container to LOS about a year ago, you will get no correct information from Thai websites or custom agents. I paid 118,000 Baht duty on the container, so I would assume that six boxes would be a lot less than that. You could always find a Thai returning to LOS, shipping a container. They are allowed one container with no duty charged. I can't imagine that duty would equal the $450 port to port charge (but thats just my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...

Personal experience is the Thai, even if married to foreigner, is allowed a container to be brought in duty free. They will require passport to verify the Thai has been out of the country for a year (or is it 2?).

When dealing with Thai customs, to not get a very good agent is asking for trouble. And from what I have read, without a good agent, most people get it.

Archived