Common Law Relationships

FreeTime

Common Law Marriage--Thailand & the Philippines

Would appreciate any comments from readers on common law marriages/relationships between thai women and foreigners, and filipino women and foreigners. We can dispense with the weighty legal aspects for the moment. I'm initially just trying to get a sense of societal acceptance in each country. For anyone who does not want to get legally married, and is interested in a committed relationship with a particular gem, the common law arrangement might be the next best thing. Does anyone have experience in setting one up, and what resistance, if any, was met along the way? There are a host of factors that might determine whether a woman says yes or no, but again, I'm just trying to get an idea of how the common law situation is viewed in each culture. How about the drawing up of an agreement, or should one just wing it? It would only be viable if primary financial assets were untouchable in the home country; Canada or wherever, and only modest assets left at risk within Thailand or the Philippines. I'm not close to this situation yet, but could be one day if workable, so just want to start making notes.

I wouldn't worry, basically the woman will keep what you give her or put in her name. If you buy a house/land package in her name you won't get anything out of it if you break up. It does happen but so do moon landings.

Lock up your assets at home, even from yourself if possible. It's amazing what generous thoughts go through your mind when some lovely little darling is stroking your wee wee and gazing lovingly into your eyes.

Unless a marriage is registered in Thailand, it is not even common law. A religious ceremony of any kind has no legal standing. Most men do not register their marriage, since they can simply walk away. The jilted "wife" will have a hard time even trying to get child support.

As to societal acceptance, if you move in with a Thai gal and live as man and wife, you'll be accepted as such. That is the old Thai way - the man moved in with the woman's family. (There was none of this "sinsot" nonsense.) If the man left, the marriage was over. Don't worry about being looked down upon as "living in sin" if you don't have a piece of paper from the district office.

Remember that anything you buy - land, house - must be in the Thai partner's name. It's a gift, more or less. Keep your bank accounts seperate, no matter how romantic you may feel towards the damsel at the beginning. If you have a joint account, she can clean you out any time she feels like it.

In fact, why don't you just rent!

I bought a condo last year and I regret it. I do not regret it because of the price I paid, the upkeeep, or current value. I regret it because I didn't know how stupid fellow HOA members could be. HOAs are nightmares. You have to deal with psychos, idiots, lazy people, etc. And you better make sure whoever is handling the money is honest.

You have been warned. DO NOT BUY A CONDO-RENT INSTEAD!!!

I knew a girl in the Philippines who'd been living with an old English guy for a few years in PR. He died there....all his assets, house etc. were in England. She found a Filipino lawyer who went over to the UK and did very well for her (much to the disgust of the English guy's family). In other words she had common law rights in England...so I guess it depends on how far the common law wife wants to push it.

I knew a girl in the Philippines who'd been living with an old English guy for a few years in PR. He died there....all his assets, house etc. were in England. She found a Filipino lawyer who went over to the UK and did very well for her (much to the disgust of the English guy's family). In other words she had common law rights in England...so I guess it depends on how far the common law wife wants to push it.

I've heard similar stories in the PI as well, but we're talking about separation here, the breakdown of a relationship rather than the death of the OP.

My relationship is very much as described by Flash, no paper, no sin sot, no blessing and total acceptance by my wife's family.

Archived