Guitar

Spiff

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi.....hmmm, my friend on his holiday did the same thing. I took him down to Chinatown (Yaowarat). This is where all the music shops are situated in one or two (or more)little sois.... about 20 or so shops from memory. Everything is there from 1000 baht acoustics to 80,000 baht Gibson gold-tops. He picked up a fairly decent generic brand steel-string acoustic for 2500 baht.

Maybe someone else could explain how to get there for you. I still, after many years of trying to navigate chinatown, get lost. Anyway, this area is between Yaowarat and Chareonkrung road somewhere in chinatown.

Alternatively there are two second-hand music shops in Panthip Plaza and more still in the Hollywood-IT computer centre (which now looks like it is taking a focus on music i hear)... These two places are on Phetchaburi rd.

cheers

if you are going to koh phan gan you will pass through nathon on koh samui. take a left from the pier and turn right at the first main road.(a coffee shop is on the corner). continue till street dead ends and turn right onto main street. on right hand side is the guitar shop. a decent indonesian cutaway goes for about 3500B. should come with a carrying case. i bought one in july. he has some others. all indo. they really are good guitars. i brought mine home. i play it almost as much as my taylor, strat, and gretsch. i said almost. be sure to buy alot of supplies. strings and picks . seems like i broke alot of strings. i convinced an extroirdinary(hendrix and the blues type stuff) guitarist, woody to give me lessons. he gave me 2 hours of lessons a day for 500B. woody is a great guy. plays at bikers and rockers club on friday and monday night. if you see him tell him that big dave said hello

• 2 months later...

Ok ok. Thank you once again. I just want to write a finish line in case anyone else is interested in buying guitars in Bangkok. I went to Panthip Plaza. Greast place if you look for software, music etc. There where two ok guitar-shops, but a little bit too expensive for me. So I went to Chinatown (Yaowarat). Woooooawhhh!! That was like coming to heaven! I did spend a long time findig where they sold guitars, but it was really worth the struggle. I don't know how many shops there was all in all, but there where more than enough. I didn go in to all but the thing is to spend some time. Most of the shops had some cheap guitars for like 3000 bath. Not anyone good. But then suddenly I went to one shop who sold a guitar for 1600 bath. Before I even started bargain. And the best bart...The guitar was great!! laugh.gif" border="0 Even better than many I saw for 5-6000 Bath. Maybe yhe quality is not the same, but I'm only gonna use it for three weeks. Bottomline: Need a guitar? Go to Chinatown!! laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0 See ya! And thanks once again for the help!

Spiff....good one!

I know what you mean. When I discovered that area of Bangkok I couldn't believe it. Fucking music shops galore. There'd have to be 20 shops or so. It sure makes for a fun day's shopping.

My mate had wanted a knockabout guitar the same as you to take to Pha Ngan. We did the rounds of all the shops, the heat and battled the general confusion of Chinatown and eventually found a gem for 2200 baht that came with a neat soft-case. He then took that guitar onto Europe, U.S.A and Mexico and still has it residing with him now in Australia. It will do the full circle and come back to Bangkok and Phan Ngan at X-mas.

Cheers and happy strumming

Archived