Thai Gold Expensive?

sinsin2

But who wants to go to Dubai, I stopped over once but the Gold in the airport did not seem that cheap. OK if you are there on business and have no choice. Is there a place that does mail order?-peter

QUOTE]Originally posted by sinsin:

IMO the cheapest place for gold is Dubai.

The accepted formula for fixing the price is adding freight and insurance charge as well as bank commission to Reuters gold price and then multiplying it by 0.920 for fixing the 22-carat price.

I should have clarified my post. I am ex military and have access to military base retail outlets where there is no sales tax. This is where I priced the 3 baht chain at $840 (US). In May I purchased some 2 baht chains and sold them on Yahoo auctions for moderate profit. This last trip (Sep) I purchased a 5 baht to keep for myself. Price per baht was 5800 that day and my exchange was 45 to the dollar. I see some posts about Thai gold being 24k, but I've only seen 22k myself. One thing I like about having Thai gold is the ability to resell it if the need arises. I checked and was offered 4000 baht less than what I paid for my chain. Try that in a jewelry store in America or Japan!

seems to a bit of confusion amongst you guys.

in Thailand gold IS sold in 24K but is predominantly sold in 23.5K that is all gold hallmarked 965%, it is also available in 22K and 18K etc.

to buy gold in Thailand don't go confusing yourselves with troy ounces and other foreign measurements, gold market prices are displayed daily, price and weight in baht online and in financial rags. shop gold price is sometimes displayed in shop or failing that just ask, after the price of the gold is ascertained you only need haggle for the price of the service.

Daffyd

quote:

Originally posted by land o' scams:

All I ever see in Thailand is 22K gold, nothing higher.[/QB]

land o'scam,U may be right on this one because I haven't hang out too much in goldshops but I'm pretty dure I saw there purity at wellover 90% indicated and mostly heard of 24c .Is that bullshit.I got a ring once fromThailand made of 18c gold but this one came froma touristy area.More input welcome

Mushroom.

The gold you buy is an alloy with other metals, hence the carat rating i.e. how pure it is. This is the main reason for the colour differences. Put very simply add milk to coffee and it changes colour dependant upon how much you add. Add Coke to coffee and there is a different colour change. It tastes different as well but that spushing the analogy too far.

I am not an expert but the other reason for the colour's I believe is its also dependant upon where it is mined.

Archived