Guitar Strings

Can anyone tell if I can buy American guitar strings in Thailand. I will be moving there in Nov. I am bringing My Martin D35,

Les Paul, and Paul Reed Smith. I use Martin strings for the Martin. I use D'Addario for the electric. super tops regular bottom.

( I like ladies the same way ) I will be living in Pattaya, but will come to Bangkok twice a month. Thanks

mvbavii,

no problem here. They are in abundance in bangkok...d'addario etc.. as for the martin strings i can't say for sure but there are some pretty flash music shops in downtown bkk that have most stuff american. In Pattaya i imagine you'll find them also.

You may be buying them more often than your used to also, because of the humidity here they sweat in their cases and rust up real quick..

You have some nice guitars...guard them against theft! I'd be paranoid of being robbed if I had these here. Some things are irreplacable.

Cheers

"You may be buying them more often than your used to also, because of the humidity here they sweat in their cases and rust up real quick.. "

Dan,

Have you noticed problems with the guitars themselves swelling over time as a result of the humidity ? When I travel in SEA I find that I have to periodically reset the neck as the top absorbs moisture and effectively raises the bridge.

I was told by the sales director at Taylor Guitars that they took back a guitar that had been on display in Thailand for a year and on drying it out ended up with half a pint of water !

BTW I find Elixir strings tend to resist the rust.

CN

Changnoi,

Sounds outrageous doesn't it (half a pint of water!!) but I guess possible. The weather here puts a shorter life on many things. Anything metal suffers first it appears to me (I'd hate to be a drummer with all that hardware). My guitar, a creme-coloured strat has turned a dark-aged vintage brownish-creme colour (actually looks good!) very prematurely as a result of being here. As for the swelling I couldn't really tell you but it does sound feasible. My guitar has also, for the first time in it's life, needed to be set up regularly.

Not the best environment for beloved instruments but as mvbaviii asks..... 'What am i to do?' I guess you can put it onto the scales of the good and the bad in Thailand and it normally weighs up.

Cheers

Archived