Where to buy photocamera in Bangkok?

Spiff

Hi!

I'm soon going to LOS again and need a new camera. Does anyone know a good place to go in Bangkok? What I want is a Canon IXUS II camera or something similar. (APS camera with zoom). I guess it's a stupid question to ask...but does anyone know the price for that camera in BKK?

Regards

Spiff

I doub't if you would save much waiting to buy the camera in Thailand.

The thing that would make it a not so good deal as opposed to buying at home would be if there is a problem with it, easier to get it fixed back home if you got it there.

Here ( in usa) if you have a problem with an item the first few days, usually the place you buy it at will replace it no hassell, in Thailand it usually is a case of "tough crud" if you bring it back, or sending it in for repair and waiting, which may not be an option if you are only there for a few days.

I would start shopping at Panthip Plaza, near the Amari Watergate Hotel, not too far from the World Trade Center (Chitlom Station on Skytrain, I believe). Panthip is on Phetburi Rd around soi 17, I think. Just ask around, and people will point you in the right direction. If nothing else, it will be worth the visit, just to see it. smile.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

"Anyway, now I got one. It's small and sexy. Reminds me of thaigirls!"

Somewhere in there I detect the makings of a joke. like "how many pixels does a typical bg have?"

Spiff:

Have fun, I bet ur best memories won't be in the form of a pict.

quote:

Originally posted by Glenn:

For future reference the best place normally to buy such items is in the Duty Free area when you are departing to Thailand!!

Duty Free in Thailand is more expensive than the regular shops!!

Go via one of the UAE airports for the best deals.

Roger.

I agree Thailand Duty Free is expensive.

I wrote departing To Thailand, not from.

After all if he waited and brought in the Duty free he could only do so when departing From! and would not be able to use his camera on his vacation.

Since I did not know his home location I could not say leaving from ..... Also a lot of flights unfortunately do not go via the UAE otherwise your advice would be valid. The advantage of buying when departing your home location is that you are normally buying form a chain store therefore you can check out what model you are interested in before departure. Also when you arrive home with your Used camera you still have the maintenance from the store available to you.

Oh..A funny thing just happened. A friend just walked in and had a look at the camera (It's a Nikon Nuvis V). So he asks "Why don't you buy one in Thailand? It must be a lot cheaper there, is'nt it?" So I told him that I didn't think so. Usually it's usually just things made in Thailand or nearby that are much cheaper in LOS. (And the girls laugh.gif" border="0 ) Then he turns the camera over and it's written in silver "Made in Thailand" shocked.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0 Well....I can't wait to see the price in Thailand. "Special price for you my friend..." Yeah right! laugh.gif" border="0

Archived