Is Hillary getting paid from NY to do this?

cavanami

How does this work? Hillary just "walks" off her "job" (New York Senator) and trots around the country, while still drawing her "pay" for being a NY senator?

Let me leave my job and go off and about...let's see how long my pay continues....

Analysis: Obama, Clinton begin unity campaign

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080627/ap_on_el_pr/obama_clinton_analysis

UNITY, N.H. - Barack Obama and Hillary Rodham Clinton stood side by side in this tiny New England outpost to provide the image many Democrats needed to see after their long, bruising primary battle.

And the former rivals both understand they need each other now. Friday's unity event was the first public step in meeting all those needs.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit hard singling Hill out for this, I'd imagine at least half the Senate will be out campaigning for their respective candidates for the next 5 months.

I would imagine she's supposed to put in so many appearances a year in the House then the rest of the time's her own.

:dunno:

I think the bottom line is that once elected the members of Congress can do as much or as little work as they want and still draw their pay and benefits. It is up to the voters to elect someone else if they are not satisfied with any particular member's work ethic.

Unfortunately, and I include politicians on both sides of the political spectrum here, many believe that their sole responsibility is to the party and and their duty consists of turning up to vote at key debates.

It's quite common in Australia for a political party to bring an outsider in to run in an electorate because it's a "safe seat".

Voters are then given the choice of voting for someone they don't know or for someone who's politics they don't believe in.

The good news is that some wild card independents have taken advantage of this in the past. These are usually local people who should have been nominated for the seat who resign from the party and end up winning anyway.

How do you think Hillary got to be senator from Noo Yawk? She'd never even lived in the state. She's from Illinois, lived in Arkansaw with Slick Will, then Washington ... and suddenly decides she wants to become a senator. She picks a state with a 3 to 2 Democratic registration and gets herself placed on the ballot. She didn't run in an primary to become the candidate. She just ... was.

:dunno:

You might want to keep your eye an a South Aussie guy called Nick Xenophon who starts as a Federal Senator next month.

He's a true independent and holds the balance of power along with the Greens and the Family First dirt bags.

Yeah the Dems put her up as a high profile candidate with an eye to the big prize further down the track.

All gone for shit now though. She'll probably hang about long enough to get her pension then head for the Bahamas with Willy.

Archived