How to get from Visa "A" to Visa "AO"

nordicman

I just retired from my job in the States and got my "O Visa" in hand. I"ll be flying to LOS July 1st. The Honorary consulate in Honolulu did not want to give me a multiple entry O visa which is a problem since I wanted to make a couple of trips outside LOS in August/Sept. Can I get a "OA" retirement visa within a few weeks after arriving in Thailand? I've got the 800K wired to a Thai bank last week, also, a letter from my retirement dept saying I'll be getting $1000/month starting in August, and also the "no record of convictions" letter. Can I get the medical form filled out in Thailand? Or do they even ask for it anymore? It amazes me how I couldn't get these questions answered at the consulate--OH I forgot- it IS Amazing Thailand!

You cannot get an â??OAâ? visa in Thailand. The OA is a visa issued in your home country that gets you a 1 years permission to stay stamp on arrival. That visa requires the medical and police check.

What you have is a single entry â??Oâ? visa that will get you 90 days permission to stay stamp on arrival. You can get a 1 year extension to stay based on retirement on that visa while in Thailand. The requirement, other then being over 50, for the 1 year extension is simply 800k baht in a Thai bank 3 months before applying for the extension (there are reports that at some immigration offices the 3 month requirement is not being enforced) or a statement from you, notarized by the US embassy, that you have an income of 65k baht per month. You do not need both, nor do you need a police check or medical certificate. You do not have keep the 800k in bank once the extension is granted, you only need to top it up again before applying for the next 1 year extension.

If you want to take a trip in August you can get a re-entry permit at the airport which will keep the 90 day permission to stay stamp you will receive on 1 July (to the end of Sept) valid. Near the end of August, go down to Immigration with your statement from the bank on the 800k baht in your account and apply for the 1 year extension. Get a multiple re-entry permit at the same time, which will allow you to leave the country and keep the extension valid.

The are other forums dedicated to Thai Visas, you can go to for more detailed information.

Good luck, enjoy your retirement in Thailand :beer:

Archived