Criminal lawyer--is there such a thing in LOS

Excuse my ignorance, but when looking at lawyers in LOS, is there such a distinction as a "criminal lawyer." My GF's son, a minor, may have some legal issues that will require the services of a lawyer.

Live in LOS, but right now am out of country on some personal and business issues for a couple months. This problem has just come up. Don't know if I will need services, as police have not as yet formally charged, and we are trying to solve the issue at the police level (you all understand what that means). Just trying to do some footwork ahead of time.

Excuse my ignorance, but when looking at lawyers in LOS, is there such a distinction as a "criminal lawyer." My GF's son, a minor, may have some legal issues that will require the services of a lawyer.

Live in LOS, but right now am out of country on some personal and business issues for a couple months. This problem has just come up. Don't know if I will need services, as police have not as yet formally charged, and we are trying to solve the issue at the police level (you all understand what that means). Just trying to do some footwork ahead of time.

Yes, there is such a thing as a criminal lawyer.

I have a lady friend, in school now, to be just that.

Your are correct, the best way to out him (least expensive) is before he is charged.

I would suggest you, do not show your Farang face, at the Police Station. Best, done, negotiation wise, with a crafty Thai.

Do not know your lady, to tell you if she is of the type to do it. You want someone that will command respect, and persona on arrival, willing to talk a while with the Police Captain, or whoever. Maybe, a lawyer, early on, would take some of the game, out of the transaction.

Good Luck !

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am not showing my farang face at all in this, thankfully I have been out of the country. My GF, the mother in the case, is not the right person to do the negotiations and we are working through the family who has some connections into the police department in another district, i.e., trying to go police to police to solve this issue. The matter is not trivial, and her son, unfortunately, by Thai law may be liable to some serious charges, even though, through the eyes of western law he was simply an innocent bystander who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I really am not going to go into any detail as we are just trying to head this off before it gets into the courts. Hopefully the kid's age, and the fact that he an excellent well-spoken student will buy him some leeway as well. But as we all know there is no substitute for power and money.

The longer is goes as far as time is concerned the more money it costs. Time creates exposure, which creates more open hands thus depleting the available resources. They will squueze as far as they can until either they get enough or he is charged.

There are of course criminal lawyers but they are a suspect lot and need to be chosen more for their contacts than anything else.

The Thai legal system is bizarre ,corrupt, cumbersome...try and stay out of it at all costs.

Archived