'Killer' Kowalski Dies.

Julian2

I lived in Malden Ma., a couple of blocks from his wrestling school for most of the "70's. We were both regulars at a nearby restaurant where he would only sip on fruit juice while keeping up with the daily gossip; he was actually a strict vegetarian.

He was also a very smart and personable man; nothing at all like his public persona. The "Killer" moniker was given to him by the press when he accidentally tore an opponents ear of during a match; he hated it and nobody who was his friend ever used it in his presence. He gave generously of his time anytime he could.

I belonged to a local group of photo enthusiasts. We provided cheap cameras to local kids and encouraged them to take pictures. He was a camera bug himself and when I mentioned the project with the kids, he immediately suggested that I bring them to the wrestling school for a photo session. A couple of Saturdays later we brought about ten kids to his gym. He and some of his students put on quite a show for them, then did a posing session in all sorts of wrestling positions; the kids were totally awed and had the time of their lives.

I was kind of awed myself, he was a great guy.

Archived