:Phnom P:enh "hotels"

Tiger Moth

Using the internet, I booked a room at Rory's Guest House. It was 6pm when I arrived. I looked at the room and didn't like it at all. Very seedy, poor access.... So, I paid for one night, put my baggage into the room and went looking for another room. Unfortunately, it rained and I was soaked. I arrived at Tonle Sap on St 104. I looked at the rooms. One was decent, $18 a night. One was quite nice, $35 per night.

Along with many others I have become a bit disenchanted with Flamingo. But, I didn't like how far Tonle Sap was from the market, etc. So, I walked to Flamingos. They were booked for the night but a Standard room for $25 a night was available the next day.

I walked back to Tonle Sap and said, I will take the $35 room for one night if I can have the room until 2pm. Reminded me of Thailand, the woman in charge said, essentially, she could not make that decision. I would have to checkout at 12. I said, "if I have to check out at 12, I will take the room for $18 a night and you will lose $17. But, if you allow me to stay until 2pm, I will take the room for $35 and you will have an additional $17.

Of course, she could not make the decision. Well, who can I asked. Graham can but he is sleeping - this is about 7pm.

OK, give me the $18 a night room.

Then, following the suggestions posted in the room, I checked my valueable items.

The next day, at 11am, I wanted to checkout. But, can not get my valueable items. Why, because only the manager (apparently Graham's wife and Graham have the key). Well, please call them. Sad for me, Graham and his wife were sleeping and their phones were turned off.

Never met Graham.

Finally at about 12, my valueable items were given to me.

Off I went to Flamingo.

Flamingo is not quite as good as it was during my first visit. But, here are 2 things I like. Everytime you have a guest, you get a call before the guest is allowed out of the building, asking you if everything is OK and she can go. Secondly, directly across the street is a massage, sauna, hot tub and now also exercise place.

Important to me with back problems, it has proper massage tables with cutout for your face so that your spine in properly aligned. 1 1/2 hour massage with sauna (a very good, very hot sauna) for $11 - or less than 400 baht. Excellent value.

Archived