Sports announcers: US Open Tennis

Tiger Moth

This morning I watched the US Open Tennis final with Roger Federer vs Andy Murray.

Normally, there are 2 people in the booth. One the professional play by play person, gives serve percentages, number of unforced errors... a bunch of statistics. And, the professional announcer also tells you what you have just seen, in case you are an idiot and can't comphrehend what you have just seen, I guess.

The other announcer, normally referred to as the "color" announcer ususally has been involved in the sport as a player or coach and should provide some insight into what is really happening on the field of play. In my opinion, too many of these former professionals put too much emphasis on being "colorful" and making silly, statements. Hyperbole is the norm.

In the coverage of the US Open final today, the "color" analyst was Mats Wilander, a guy who has won 7 major championships and has lost four finals. Mats had very little color but a great deal of substance. While I have played a lot of tennis, been to the US Open several times... still, it took effort to pay attentions to him.

But, was it ever worth it!!! I learned numerous things to my great surprise. Remember, I have played in tennis leagues, have been to the US Open and have followed tennis for 40 years.

Here is one thing I learned. Typically, if the server wants to change the location of the serve, the spin on the serve, the pace of the serve, the server will change the serving motion (their body will move differently). Typically, they will toss the ball into the same place. Pete Sampras, currently the top guy in majors won (14 - today was number 13 for Federer), always tossed the ball into the same location.

A very few players will not change the motion of their bodies but will change the location of the ball toss. Federer is one of the few and the best.

After Federer was dominant in the 1st set, I thought he would be sky high mentally. Mats said, "when you win a first set like that, you know you won't be able to keep it up and you begin to doubt yourself".

Much more that I could detail that I learned. What a treat to have forced myself to listen to Mats, a guy with little or no color.

In contrast, the other day the color guy was Luke Jensen, a former pro (primarily doubles with his brother). Very colorful, full of hyperbole. I learned nothing from Luke in an overall sense and with regards to the match in progress.

Forget the color, give me someone who is experienced, intelligent, insightful and can help me to appreciate the sport I am watching!!!

Archived