Reality football

Firstly, what is the state of amateur football in Bangkok/Thailand?

Are there leagues like we have in the UK?

What standard are they?

Secondly, what is the state of the Thai professional league?

What is the British equivalent? Conference, 3rd, 2nd, 1st division standard?

Are farangs allowed to hook up with Thai professional teams?

If so, anyone know the best way in?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Potato.

quote:

Originally posted by Potato:

Firstly, what is the state of amateur football in Bangkok/Thailand?

Are there leagues like we have in the UK?

What standard are they?

Secondly, what is the state of the Thai professional league?

What is the British equivalent? Conference, 3rd, 2nd, 1st division standard?

Are farangs allowed to hook up with Thai professional teams?

If so, anyone know the best way in?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide.

Potato.

Potato - hmmm, you don't play for Newcastle do you?

I really wouldn't know about amateur leagues here, but like anywhere else there are loads of people who want to play football and they will organise themselves. There is a certain village side up in Buriram who take the field every week proudly wearing the red & white stripes and the Reg Vardy logo. Only cost me 25 quid to kit out the whole team including the goalie!

There is a professional league - the Caltex - which I think has 2 divisions. I wouldn't think the standard would be higher than Conference/Division 3.

One guy here, Darren Jackson, used to play for Oxford Utd and Reading (I think) then played pro in Finland and Hong Kong. He came here with his wife (her job had an expat package) and played in the Caltex for Bangkok Bank, usually one of the top teams. He was earning something like B25-30,000 per month and decided he would rather spend his time coaching kids. He now has a VERY successful coaching school, they run classes at various international schools after school and at weekends, organise tournaments, takes teams on overseas tours etc. He is making a very good living out of it now and looks to be enjoying his work enormously.

http://www.fourelephants.com/sambrown/lifestyle.php3?sid=67

Lots of Thai football links here:

http://handii.com/splash/ThFootball.htm

There are also 3 leagues aimed mainly at farangs, though with an increasing number of Thai players in many of the teams. There was talk of trying to combine the leagues and have 3 divisions but there has been a lot of resistance from some quarters so this year it looks like remaining as a) The Global Silverhawk Farang League B) The Casuals League and c) another league I can't remember the name of, intended to bridge the gap between these, which plays midweek evenings. There is also now a Veterans 6-a-side league starting up in September.

News and details of most of these can be found at http://www.somtam.com

Anyway, get a team entered in the Nanaplaza Fantasy League.

Cheers

LG

Archived