Bangkok Marathon

Is anyone running in the November 25 marathon? I ran last year and highly recommended it. Very well supported. I love those cute nurses passing out Vaseline. Even with the 4:30 am start it's hot and humid, so not an easy one.

[ October 26, 2001: Message edited by: pattayaman ]

Dan - Here is a link to the site. Note that the "-" is part of the url. About 2,000 ran last year. I reached the 1/2 way point as the sun was coming up!

http://www.amazingfield-tha.org/English/Sc_BKmara.htm

Start and finish are near the Palace. You can register at the Marathon Expo on Saturday. The Expo is in Saran Rom Garden, Sanam Chai Street which is at the Start/Finish. Packet pickup and final race instructions are at the Expo on Nov. 24 [note that site says the 25th, that is race day and can't be correct], 9.00 a.m.-7.00 p.m. There is no race day registration.

Last year I stayed at the Royal Hotel, the one on their recommended list.

There is a 6 hour time limit. I came in at 5:46 as I'm quite slow. There were a few, inluding a friend that came over from the US Embassy in New Deli, that finished after 6 hours. He still got a finishers medal.

Let me know if you're going to run. We can meet at the Expo. There are food and booths at the Expo.

Cheers, and thanks for the info. Looked closely at my calender and on that day I'm actually not availiable but I may try and change my schedule, will let you know.. I had to gulp when I saw the race distance of 42km!.. Not sure if I've ever run that far. Would definately give it a shot though.

It's an offical marathon distance of 26.2 miles or 42+ KM as stated. Markers and water stops are in kilometers. There is plenty of help along the way if you wanted to bail out.

What's the longest distance you've done in the past 3 or 4 months? If you can run 18 miles in under 4 hours you should be OK as you can fast walk the last 8+ in about 2 hours. You need to average just under 14 minutes per mile to finish in the 6-hour limit.

I use an alternating run/walk. For this race I'll use 3 minutes of running followed by 1 minute of walking. That's about 13 minutes per mile average.

Archived