Travel Books?

I'm making my first trip in Nov. and am wondering if you guys could recommend a couple of the best travel guide books to bring with. I am definately coming mainly for sanuk, but I would like to check out some of the other cool stuff Thialand has to offer. Also, I'm flying into BKK and staying 2 weeks. Any suggestions on the areas I should travel to and time to spend in each? Kind of an itinerary? I've been told I should definately check out Pattaya for at least a few days. Any other suggestions?

just go to your local bookstore and browse

around the travel section. there will be many books on thailand so take your pick.

if you live in the usa there are plenty of

barnes and noble's and borders that will have

a good selection. lonely planet has lots

of information on sightseeing and is my

favorite. none of the books though will

glorify the sanuk scene though so keep in

touch here on the web. life here in reno

goes on but come march 12 i will be back

in phuket, samui, and the sukhumvit again.

have fun.......

Hi intrepid.

Tell us more about yourself, what you like.

I don't like any of the Thai travel books. The info on this website is infinitely better.

If you like moderately quiet beaches, I'd recommend Koh Samet. Just take a minibus from a tour agency to get there from Pattaya. If you like remote, quiet beaches, go to Koh Chaing, which is a bit further.

If you want to rough it, then take a puddle-jumper plane to the Angkor Wat ruins in Cambodia. In the Bangkok area, please refer to all the "things to do" listed in the Polls section of this website under the August heading, "Downtime Ideas for Newbies."

Keep studying this website. It has all you need. If you get too confused, send me a PM. Or, take the money you were otherwise going to spend on a guidebook, and use it to join the Members area of Nanaplaza.com. They supposedly have all the stuff expertly and professionally presented.

I've read the RoughGuide and Lonely Planet books, and I think they are dated and superficial.

In any event, you won't be able to NOT have fun in the Land of Smiles, even if you purposefully set out to follow bad advice. wink.gif" border="0

PS--There are about 7 or 8 of you SF guys regularly on the board. Perhaps you should try to arrange a meeting at a downtown pub (Vesuvio's?) with them, and gather some info over a beer? smile.gif" border="0

The most amazing travel guide I've ever seen for Thailand is the "Eyewitness Travel Guide" from a company called DK. (Should be able to find this on Amazon.com or Barnes and Knoble). Hundred's of color photos, loads of color diagrams and maps, excellent descriptions; and it was only like $20 - US ! Once you page through one of these DK guides, you realize how bad those Fodor's, Lonely Planet, etc guides are.

One downside it makes only passing commentary of the Thailand's "Sanuk Scene". But I think that portion of your trip can be covered by information from this board.

Better yet from the member's only site on this board as it has some great maps of Bangkok's "Sanuk" areas.

-=/NN

Archived