Scrabble

Are there any scrabble clubs here in Thailand?

The Bangkok Post publishes a scrabble puzzle everyday so there must be some interest in the game. I've joined Bridge and Chess clubs and would like to play scrabble competatively.

Alternatively if anyone is interested forming a club please send me a private message.

quote:

Originally posted by Blackcat:

Are there any scrabble clubs here in Thailand?

The Bangkok Post publishes a scrabble puzzle everyday so there must be some interest in the game. I've joined Bridge and Chess clubs and would like to play scrabble competatively.

Alternatively if anyone is interested forming a club please send me a private message.

First thing you have to get the hang of is that it's not called Scrabble here, presumably due to copyright evasion, the game is sold here as 'Crossword'. There is also a Maths version, using an identical board, called A-Math - the latter in particular is very popular in Thai schools. You can buy both sets together with a reversible board for about B160 - sold as 'Mix Up'.

They have regular tournaments here, usually in convention centres or big shopping malls and there are always masses of schoolkids playing in (I think) a separate competition.

One of the highest ranked players here is a British teacher, though he has been here for a long time and actually plays for the Thailand national team!! His Thai is so good that he is head of the Thai department at a major international school! He is absolutely obsessive about the game - spends his holidays studying the 'Official Dictionary of acceptable 2 letter words' or whatever. I am sure he would be able to point you in the right direction.

Drop me a private message and I will pass on his details.

Cheers

LG

PS Great goal by Phillips!! Sunday 9.00 pm ESPN, Liverpool v Sunderland. This could be the weekend you should come up to Bangkok as Saturday is the British ex-pats big day out - Ploenchit Fair, and, as well as the football there is a Nanapong Dance Contest at Nana on Sunday night!

Archived