Police break up Parliament's blockade with tear gases

limbo

(...)

THE call came at 6.15am, from German freelance photographer Nick Nostitz. ''The police are going to move in any minute'' he said.

(...)

We got news of a clash at police headquarters, and got into a tuktuk to race to the scene. Halfway through however, Nick called again saying shots had been fired at Royal Plaza - which we had walked through just minutes before.

Gunshots had been fired by PAD supporters, he said.

We got to Royal Plaza and saw PAD supporters firing what looked like firecrackers at police, who were lined up on one of the approach roads to the big square just around the corner from Parliament - and roughly midway between Parliament and Government House which has become the headquarters of the PAD.

Several of the firecracker-like missiles skittered along the road into the police lines. The police then retaliated with several tear gas rounds which exploded loudly in front of us. We ducked and ran, sheltering behind trees and cars. Confusion reigned for a while. A PAD supporter came by handing out cold wet towels to use as protection against the stinging gas.

(...)

http://www.google.com/gwt/n?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.straitstimes.com%2F2008%2F10%2F7%2Fwelcome-drink-cold-towel-and-teargas

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<< Flashermac, do you think these injuries can be the result of faulty tear gas rounds? >>

Locally made maybe? I remember about 25 years ago when my apartment was shaken by an unbelievable BOOM one Saturday afternoon. Turned out a Thai Army munitions plant manufacturing military rockets in the suburbs had gone up in a huge blast. The building filled most of a block and was completely destroyed. Seven or eight workers were known to have been in the building, but not a trace of them was ever found.

:shocked:

p.s. Deputy PM Chawalit has taken responsibility for the incident and has resigned his office. Chamlong was offered bail, but refused to pay it. He said, if you want me to go free, then just let me go.

So after a relatively calm night will we now see calmer heads prevail at both sides? Or will they continue yesterdays idiocy?

One can only hope a calm night has given people the time to understand that this is not the way forward. I hope both parties will stay put in the coming days and start to talk.

Waerth

Archived