Horse racing in Bangkok

I'm running out the door to go to work, but I don't want to let this thread die.

I did go to the R/T in Bangkok about about three years ago with the b/g companion at the time. I really needed a guide who knew what the ropes were. She was no help whatsoever (big surprise, not!)

Anyway, I couldn't figure out the tot board or anything else about the place. I made some small bets, but the numbers on the tickets that I purchased did not match the ones on the saddle clothes of the horses that finished first, second or third. That's about as far as I got.

BTW, the place is a LOT sleazier than any grand stand area in the US, Aqueduct, for instance. A guy (Thai) I met later told me that you cannot get into the clubhouse by dressing nicely and paying extra money. He said that it actually was a "club" house (!) and you could only gain access by membership in the Turf Club or if a member brought you (???) How can you run a racetrack like that? The nice part is not opened to the general public.

You can't even imagine what the commissary was like in the general admission area. Chicken feet, etc.

All that having been said, I sure would like to go again and give it another shot. This time, definitely with a Thai who knows his way around. Of course, a couple of board guys, too. I might be fun.

IMO, the hard part will be to find a local guide who is not out to completely con and hustle a group of potential suckers.

[ August 16, 2001: Message edited by: CondomKing ]

quote:

Originally posted by nepfan:

OK...so I see the horse track and I check the BKK Post for the races, but I never see anything. When do they have racing at the track?

BTW, in answer to your question, the best I could figure out is that the schedule is erratic.

I got a current schedule from the guys at the desk when I stayed at the Park Hotel on Soi 7. I asked the desk clerk, he asked the bell men and one of them, as it turned out, was a horse player.

I would think that in almost any group of barracuda taxi drivers hanging outside of your average hotel at least one would know the next racing date.

I'll be in Bangkok in a couple of months and I think I'll put a day at the races on my "to do" list. Thanks for the reminder. cool.gif" border="0

• 1 month later...

buddy guy's post is correct- racing on sundays alternating tracks- neither to be confused with ascot-

win and place betting only and a high takeout- about 30%- large fields but not balanced- favorites win a high perecentage of races- every race the same distance- 5.5 furlongs on the turf-

it's possible to get into the members only turf club (air conditioned and restaurant service)- often someone will spot a farang outside the gates and offer to sell you a one day's entry to turf club- about 500 baht

you can buy a program with past performances- it's in thai but you can figure out the form as it's all numbers

bkk racing is truly for the gambling degenerate- not the "champagne and strawberries" set

• 1 month later...

Archived