type of container to transport dogs on planes?

dean

Hopefully, I'll be leaving BKK at 6:00 A.M. on Monday. If I don't, it will be because northwest airline agents didn't approve my dog container. I spent the better part of 3 weekends looking for one, both in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, as well as on the internet. My container is metal, is ventelated on all sides, has a door that does not lock and is big enough for the dog to stand up in. It also weights less than 35 kilos, meaning both the dog and container come under the 150 pounds maximum allowed by NWA. I boarded the dog at 2 different kennels while in Pattaya, leaving him at a kennel in Bangkok, where they will bring the dog to the airport on sunday nite. Both kennel owners said that all containers are plastic, not metal. I looked at several plastic containers and the back was not ventellated, so I went with the metel cage/container, which followed all the guidelines set by NWA. If they don't approve me, after sitting at airport for 12 hours, I won't be a happy camper but won't completely lose my temper. I'll tell them if the dog doesn't go on the plane, neither do I. And, of course, I will tell them that I will sue NWA over damages over this issue, which will be considerable (cost of new ticket, transporting dog to Bangkok twice, kennels, etc.). As EWA is the only airport employee that might know something about this, I'd like to know if the 2 kennel owers are full of shit or do I have a problem?

As luck would have it.....the airline I worked for was NWA. Amazing, huh???

The plastic kennel is the normal type shippers use. It has to be large enough for the animal to stand up, head erect, without touching the ceiling of the kennel. He/she must be able to turn around, as well. You must have an absorbant (cloth or newspaper) in the kennel. A food and water dish are required. You should provide food for the animal that can be taped to the top of the kennel.

I am a bit concerned that you will not be there to tender the pet as certain information must be provided. I'm assuming you are shipping it cargo as opposed to checking it as a piece of luggage then. A bit less info is required but beware the shipper must provide photo ID and pay for the shipment prior to it being shipped. You may not be able to pay for it on the other end. There are exceptions to this but have the kennel employee be aware of this.

Back to the shipping container...you mention it is metal. I have never seen a shipper use one like this and I worked for over 20 years and handled numerous shipments per week. It might be best to actually spend a few minutes calling the 800 number for cargo in the U.S. to get accurate info. I probably wouldn't refuse the shipment but you better believe I would be checking the computer to see if this was acceptable. It may take extra time so have the shipper show up before they even open the doors to the place. Don't know if this is helpful or not but I hope so.......Good Luck.

Yes......it's true but it's basically blackmail. You're told at the time of tendering the animal that your container is not acceptable for whatever reason and you then forced to buy from the airline. I would strongly suggest that you make sure the kennel is appropriate beforehand. It sounds like OP did his research though and should be ok.

I hated telling a shipper his/her kennel was not acceptable and they had to then buy a kennel from NWA. I certainly didn't see any of that money and also I had to go get it (it was completely on the other side of the field and required me to use motor transportation and about 30 minutes just to get it) and also I had to put it together. So in no way is the agent benefiting so make sure you have the right kind and size.

I wasn't able to check the internet before leaving but got to Kansas City last nite, after 42 hours of travelling (started at Chiang Mai with a 2:35 flight to BKK and ended last nite at KCI at 8:40). The dog was delivered to BKK airport Sunday nite at 8:30 and we sat until 3:00 A.M., when the check in process atarted. They immediately told me that the metal container could not be used. The agent in BKK was very professional and agreed that the kennal did comply with every requirement lsited on NWA's website but could not be used in the cargo area. I did get her name and got a picture of the kennal to put in the letter that I will send to NWA, suggesting that, if they don't take any kennals except for hard plastic kennels, they should just state that. I spent the better part of 3 weekends looking for an accepable kennel and rejected the two hard plastic containers because they were not ventallated on all four sides. Fortunately, the kennel where the dog was kept offered to sell me a hard plastic contianer for 6,000 baht and so I called them and had it by 4:00 A.M. and used a drill to put holes on the back side, which was not ventallated. One nice thing was, I was expecting to pay $780.00, which is the price for a shipment of 150 poounds of dog and container. They weighed the dog and contianer and said I owed half that amount (I paid in baht, 13,450 baht but could have paid in U.S. dollars: I would advise that one not pay in advance, as allowe on NWA but pay at check in). Everything else went fine. Northwest is a very good carrier for dogs. They give you a "boarding pass" for the dog, which you give to the flight attentant on every segment (the dog is put in cargo seperately) and they pass the info on to the captain, who makes sure that the temp in cargo is adjusted for the dog. The flight attendant lets you know that the dog is on board and gives back the "boarding pass". I'll send a nice letter to NWA in the next couple of days, politely saying I had to throw away a new metal container that I had bought for $135.00 and request a travel voucher for that amount or FF miles as compensation. If I get it, fine. If not, I'm not going to go any further on this matter. I've got more important thangs to do, like looking for a rental house that will take 6 people (wife and 4 kids) and a golden retreiver).

I'm happy to hear everything went fairly smoothly then. A 300usd+ savings is always a nice bonus as well.

Sounds like you checked the pet in as a piece of luggage then. Better, I think. The confirmation the pet is onboard is a nice feature. That is what I meant about you being there to fill out the ppwk. Have to fill out lots of little forms.

Let us know how the other part went, immigration. I guess ok as well as you are there now. :smirk:

I'm here and currently looking at houses to rent. I hope to confirm one by tomarrow and then leave for LAX tomarrow night to meet wife and kids as they come out of customs, from their China Air flight. I did ask the immigration officer when I arrived Monday how long it takes to clear permanent residency visas on arrival in U.S. ans he said not long, unless there are a lot of arrivals at the time. customs also told me the type of food one is not allowed to bring in. Included are beef, chicken and pork. I'll just tell my wife not to pack any food. Hopefully, they arrive at 8:00 P.M. and will be out of customs by 9:00 P.M.

Archived