hash house harriers

Beastee (Oh, fellow S&L cohort in sanuk),

Hash House Harriers are organised in most of the major expat areas of Thailand, as well as other countries.

They are usually started by the expats from the UK, but anyone can tag along, even us Yanks, if we behave ourselves. laugh.gif" border="0

Most local expat and English language newspapers, like the Phuket Gazette, have listings for when the hashes take place. They are often scheduled for one day per month.

The concept is basically a foot race combined with drinking. Some hashes involve more serious running, where as others are an exercise in getting drunk while walking.

There are often times rules as to how many drinks must be consumed at the scheduled watering holes along the way.

It can be a really great way to meet some local expats.

Did it twice and enjoyed it very much.

The Bangkok hashes are announced every Saturday in the Bangkok Post. There are normally three every week.

I read once that hashers call themself "drinkers with a running problem". I consider myself rather the opposite, hence I haven't participated in any hash yet.

By the way, next Wednesdays hash starts at Sukhumvit, Soi 2, I wonder if they will pass any watering holes on Soi 4? tongue.gif" border="0

Not long enough for hardcore runners.

Too long for hardcore drinkers.

I fell into the latter category.

If I remember correctly, the two I did were 5K. But my brain cells were decreasing during the run so who knows.

Maybe BKKGeorge can clarify this.

Hi Beastee,

as I said before, I haven't participated in a hash yet, but friends of mine did.

I think it's not so much the distance that matters but more the time you spend on the course and the amount of alcohol you consume. You need to find your way (usually in a group) passing several checkpoints and watering holes. There isn't a defined distance since it's up your intelligence, trust in others and intuition to find the best (not always the shortest) way. Depending on your running abilities and cleverness expect to be on the track sometime between one and two hours.

If anyone likes to participate in a hash in Bangkok but minds to go alone, I would join in.

Cheers,

bkkgeorge

• 2 weeks later...

Beastee,

Bangkok Hashes usually last one hour and cover 7 or 8 kms through some very interesting countryside on the outskirts of Bangkok.

Great fun. Never expect to "race" on a hash, do expect to meet some interesting people and consume a lot of beer.

For more info on the Bangkok Hashes go to the following links. These links also have links to other hashes in Thailand and the region.

www.geocities.com/bangkokmondayhhh/

www.bangkokhhh.com/

On On,

SD

• 1 month later...

There is an interesting word of mouth hash in Pattaya - including vast quantities of ale and a short time thrown in - anyone done it???

I occasionally go on the HHH here in Bungladebt, there a fun nite, i guess more so in Thailand...

Archived