Thai boxing

Have any board participants attented fights at Lumpini or the other Bangkok stadium? Does one really have to pay top dollar for a decent seat? Do they allow tourists in with camcorders? My experience upcountry has been that wherever sports are betting is also (some of it illegal) and therefore it is forbidden.

I've seen a couple of dozen evenings worth of Lumpinee fights.

My advice is to wait until an hour or two after the fights begin to avoid the less than thrilling bouts involving fighters in their early teens.

The best fights are later on.

Never buy the ringside seats the touts will try to sell you. The seats where the Thais sit have just as good a view at about a fourth the price. Also, you will almost never see a Thai sitting there, for a reason.

Ringside is always the best and it will cost you from 500 to 1200 baht depending on the fight. I think it's not a bad price to pay especially if you are only go to go once. No need to buy from a tout just go to the ticket window. It's okay to miss the first few fights but FYI the main event is NOT the last fight. I believe it is around the 8th fight so don't wait too long to go in. If your just going to check it out and don't want to spend a lot of money any seat will do.

[ July 01, 2001: Message edited by: V. Calvino ]

Archived