Cultural Sensitivity When teaching Thai People!

Savittre

Many teachers thai and foreign would touch the younger students on the head without a problem. I have only had on sensitive student with this issue.

Other than that.

Learn to pay the politics at the school. everyone is trying to build a little empire at the school and respect that. the older thai teachers should be respected although he may think they are full of shit and have no friggen idea, follow their instructions if you can.

prep, prep, prep. If you never taught the topic, really review it or the students will eat you alive. you owe it to them to work your ass off until you are proficient at teaching.

DO NOt sit on the desks with your feet off the ground!!!

dress in a tie/shirt

Teaching children between the ages of 3 and 11 I have had no problems with anything like this. Indeed, school supplied equipment consisted of various inflatable mallets and such like for whacking the kids with !!

This is much more preferable and fun for the kids than a few of the Thai teachers equivalent....a solid wooden metre stick !

• 4 weeks later...

<<Do not sit on the desks with your feet off the ground!>>

I do it all the time. So do most of the Farangs, plus some of the Thai men. It really drives the older Thai teachers batty, which is why it's fun to do. :-)

p.s. Years ago, a colleague heard through the grape vine that "he wasn't a good teacher". He wanted to know why. The answer? "Because you sit on the desk while you're teaching." (And this from people who might sit behind their desk with their nose buried in a book, reading it to the students who practically fell out of their own chairs from boredom.)

<<Do not sit on the desks with your feet off the ground!>>

I do it all the time. So do most of the Farangs, plus some of the Thai men. It really drives the older Thai teachers batty, which is why it's fun to do. :-)

p.s. Years ago, a colleague heard through the grape vine that "he wasn't a good teacher". He wanted to know why. The answer? "Because you sit on the desk while you're teaching." (And this from people who might sit behind their desk with their nose buried in a book, reading it to the students who practically fell out of their own chairs from boredom.)

I'm not a teacher (actually a Project Manager) but I know I've run across a whole host of things that are not suggested as appropriate for the office. Wish someone had prepped me before I got here. And sorry to tell you guys, only one of them involves any physical movement or action. There are many issues simply with farang speaking and demeanor that some Thais are particularly sensitive too.

Archived