Why Do Some Schools Want You to Hang Around so Many Hours??

Savittre

As I was reading, a school may pay you, e.g. 33K THB for 88 hours of teaching per month, which is 375 Baht per hour, but, they require you to be on the premises 170 hours per month, which knocks the hourly rate down considerably!!

My question: Why do they require this, and what are you doing when you're not teaching??

crazy.gif" border="0 Thanks!!

For me I teach 15 hours a week this term but my prep time is about 15-20 hours a week and a the rest of the time I shoot the shit with other teachers, play on the net etc.

When I first start a course that I have never taken before/ taught before, my prep time is about 2 hours for every contact hour.

Most good teachers would use the time wisely for marking, writting tests, prep. The shit teachers are the ones that just show up stand infront of a class and read a book. These people should really get the hell out of teaching.

As you are required 'to be around' but have no specific tasks then it can be for a variety of reasons, a couple springing to mind are:

To make sure you are there on time for other classes (and haven't forgotten after a pint)

To allow students and staff (and parents!!) to see you around the place (the real western English teacher.

Archived