2nd Hand grenade attack on PAD

cheekyboy

Fresh bomb attack on Thai anti-government protesters: police

10 hours ago

BANGKOK (AFP) â?? A hand grenade was tossed at a group of guards at an anti-government protest site in Bangkok early Tuesday, Thai police said, but no one was hurt in the second such attack within a week.

The small bomb went off before dawn outside the prime minister's offices -- known as Government House -- which have been occupied since late August by protesters trying to being down the elected administration.

"The bomb fell to the ground about three to four metres (yards) from a barricade. Up to seven guards manned the barricade," Lieutenant Colonel Chalermchai Wongjiem of the local police station told AFP.

"Nobody was hurt," he added.

Ten volunteer security guards for the so-called People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) protest group were injured last Thursday when a grenade was hurled at their camp, raising fears of escalating tensions in the kingdom.

In other violent incidents, one man was shot dead last week and another injured on Sunday near the Government House protest site after arguments with PAD guards, who are believed to be armed.

The PAD launched its campaign to bring down the government in May, saying it was running the country on behalf of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, whom they accuse of corruption and nepotism.

The movement erupted into violence on October 7 when police fired tear gas at thousands of protesters trying to block parliament. Two people were killed and nearly 500 injured in the resulting clashes.

Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat vowed Tuesday to press ahead with a controversial charter amendment despite fears of further clashes with anti-government protesters.

Six parties of the ruling coalition are scheduled to meet on Wednesday to discuss setting up a drafting body for an amended constitution to replace that put in place by the military after their 2006 coup.

"I want the amendment to go ahead but I have to listen to the majority and I respect other ideas," Somchai told reporters before attending the weekly cabinet meeting.

Somchai's People Power Party is seeking a return to the People's Constitution that preceded the military charter. That charter provided for a fully elected upper and lower house, which opponents of the government say would only serve to entrench their populist powerbase.

Anti-government protesters want more politicians appointed, they say to ensure they are ruled by representatives from across Thai society.

The secretary-general of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations said Tuesday he was confident Thailand could pull off a successful summit despite it grappling with ongoing anti-government protests.

Surin Pitsuwan, a former Thai foreign minister, said he expected December's regional group meeting, recently moved from the capital to the northern city of Chiang Mai, to pass without conflict.

"I don't think Thailand's domestic political issues will prevent it being a good host of the ASEAN summit," Surin told reporters after a meeting with Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat.

"It's Thailand's internal problem that Thailand needs to solve itself. I think Thai people are fully aware of what's important... so I think during the meeting there will be no serious conflict," Surin said.

Thailand assumed chairmanship of ASEAN in July, a post it holds for 18 months.

Another grenade attack on PAD this morning. According to The Nation, "the bomb might be launched with an M29 launcher into the compound."

I have no idea what an M29 is, other than an old US tracked military vehicle. Don't the folks at The Nation know the difference between "29" and "79"???

Archived