citizenship for guest workers?

I heard recently that Thailand is either currently or planning to offer citizenship to foreign workers in the IT field. Supposedly this is something that Thaksin wants in order to facilitate the transfer of IT knowledge to the Thais. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Thanks

Antihero

Not sure where you heard this, and I also would like to know if it is true however after searching all over the internet I can't find any reference to this.

The rules seem very confusing especially if you want to legally stay there.

Perhaps someone could point me in the direction of a good web site with info on the different visa types and what is required?

This from the Thai embassy web site about experts and citizenship!??

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED WHEN APPLYING FOR A RESIDENCE PERMISSION IN THE CASE OF EXPERTS OR ACADEMICS

Application form (TM. 9)

Personal information sheet

Health certificate from a hospital (issued within the previous 3 months).

Certification that the applicant has no criminal record in his or her overseas domicile. This must be certified officially, e.g., by the applicant's embassy in Bangkok.

Official marriage and birth certificates (in the case of accompanying family members who are also applying).

Copy of educational certificate(s) or work experience certificate (if applicable).

Copy of work permit.

Copy of annual personal income tax form with receipt for the pervious years.

Letter certifying place of employment.

3.3 EXPERTS

Applicants must possess technical know-how or expertise that is in demand and will benefit the country. Educational or employment references, certified by the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate, must be submitted. In countries where there is neither a Royal Thai Embassy nor a Consulate, the document must be certified by a Notary Public.

Applicants must submit documentation indicating that he/she has an annual income of not less than US$ 10,000.

The applicant must not be less than 25 years of age. Family members who may also be granted permanent residence in the Kingdom include spouse, parents, and not more than three unmarried children under 20 years of age.

This information is slightly different than what I heard. I was told that under a new initiative promoted by the PM that foreigner's specifically in the IT field could be granted actual Thai citizenship, i.e a Thai passport and ID card. Still trying to verify this.

One article I saw in the Pattaya mail recently, either 2 or 3 issues ago in the Grapvine section aluded to this program. This is all the information I have been able to find so far.

quote:

Originally posted by hal:

This from the Thai embassy web site about experts and citizenship!??

DOCUMENTS REQUIRED WHEN APPLYING FOR A RESIDENCE PERMISSION IN THE CASE OF EXPERTS OR ACADEMICS

Application form (TM. 9)

Personal information sheet

Health certificate from a hospital (issued within the previous 3 months).

Certification that the applicant has no criminal record in his or her overseas domicile. This must be certified officially, e.g., by the applicant's embassy in Bangkok.

Official marriage and birth certificates (in the case of accompanying family members who are also applying).

Copy of educational certificate(s) or work experience certificate (if applicable).

Copy of work permit.

Copy of annual personal income tax form with receipt for the pervious years.

Letter certifying place of employment.

3.3 EXPERTS

Applicants must possess technical know-how or expertise that is in demand and will benefit the country. Educational or employment references, certified by the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate, must be submitted. In countries where there is neither a Royal Thai Embassy nor a Consulate, the document must be certified by a Notary Public.

Applicants must submit documentation indicating that he/she has an annual income of not less than US$ 10,000.

The applicant must not be less than 25 years of age. Family members who may also be granted permanent residence in the Kingdom include spouse, parents, and not more than three unmarried children under 20 years of age.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Anti ... where ya been? I haven't heard anything about this. In fact, it is quite hard to gain Thai citizenship. I have several friends who have obtained permanent residence, but none who have changed their nationality. Now Toxin might have some thoughts about easing permanent residence visas, but I seriously doubt if he could change the requirements for citizenship.

Archived