Universities

Anyone who is or has taught in universities in Thailand, please help. I am about to embark on an undergrad honours thesis which if successful will earn me a place in my school's PhD program. Since I am interested in SE Asian security studies, I am contemplating starting my teaching career in Thailand. Only thing is, I can't find anything that even hints at what kind of opportunities exist and/or average salary, conditions and contracts for farang academics. Any general advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by Jaganath69:

Anyone who is or has taught in universities in Thailand, please help. I am about to embark on an undergrad honours thesis which if successful will earn me a place in my school's PhD program. Since I am interested in SE Asian security studies, I am contemplating starting my teaching career in Thailand. Only thing is, I can't find anything that even hints at what kind of opportunities exist and/or average salary, conditions and contracts for farang academics. Any general advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

]

Professor salary starts at 17,000 bhat plus 8000 housing allowance per month.. peanuts really. some schools will give you more if you are on a special contract.

Languages are of course the most available position, but other positions teaching history, biology , physics etc are available. Not much in the name of research for a university prof though

quote:

Originally posted by Jaganath69:

... Any general advice or anecdotes would be greatly appreciated.

Although this may be rather subjective, IMHO two of the best universities in SE Asia actually reside in Manilla (La Salle and Athanea). I have no up-to-date information available but it would be fairly easy for me to go and find out.

In case you are interested, let me know.

Best regards, Q

quote:

Originally posted by clickonline:

Although this may be rather subjective, IMHO two of the best universities in SE Asia actually reside in Manilla (La Salle and Athanea). I have no up-to-date information available but it would be fairly easy for me to go and find out.

In case you are interested, let me know.

Best regards, Q

When I was recruiting I spent some time at both them.. Both are good for arts, poor in the sciences as far as I am concerned. (if my memory is right. been a few years since i worked in the philippines

Plus who would want to live in manila- crime rate, everyone armed, traffic and pollition are 5x worse than BKK. Other than english, basketball and islands there is nothing there that would beat bkk in terms of living condition

AIT (the Asian Institute of Technology) pays much better, say 50 to 70 K baht per month. Wierd place to get hired though. Seems much of the buddy system variety.

Also, that 25,000 baht or so at govmt unis is just the base. Pick a uni that offers extra classes and it's not hard to run it up to 40 to 60,000 per month -- if you're willing to work long hours.

AIT (the Asian Institute of Technology) pays much better, say 50 to 70 K baht per month. Wierd place to get hired though. Seems much of the buddy system variety.

Also, that 25,000 baht or so at govmt unis is just the base. Pick a uni that offers extra classes and it's not hard to run it up to 40 to 60,000 per month -- if you're willing to work long hours.

Archived