starting a business

lanky9

For general information these topics can be reviewed by seaching the word "business" in the career/finance section: "Business in Bangkok", "Business in Thailand", "Business Opportunities in LOS", "Business Registration in LOS".

If you have specific questions there are many knowledgeable people here who can provide you with answers.

Good luck. smile.gif" border="0

A good, current outline of requirements is available at: http://www.visasthai.com/i04.shtml

You can search around the site for other tie-ins such as work permit, non-immigrant visa, etc.

Two "off-the-record" requirements that are not openly stated are:

1) You business must be housed in a real business structure - factory, shop, office building, whatever. You cannot run a legal business from your home, or off-shore.

2) Each month's financial submission to the Thai government must be signed off by a licensed, registered Thai accountant.

Combined, these two factors mean that once you pull the trigger and go "live" as a registered company, you start experiencing an outbound cashflow, even if you are a long way from generating income.

"Let the good times roll!"

BB

Previously stated: "1) You business must be housed in a real business structure - factory, shop, office building, whatever. You cannot run a legal business from your home, or off-shore."

True enough. However, it is possible to find a "commercial/apartment" building where the landlord is willing to submit all of the documents necessary to register a business.

Also, it may seem like hair-splitting, but the reason that, in most cases, you cannot run a legal business from your home (rental apartment) is because the home owner (landlord) is probably not declaring the rental income and therefore unwilling to give up the documents. May businesses are run from home all over Bangkok, by the homeowners, who of course have all of the necessary documentation. The real problem is finding someone willing to rent out a living space and also provide all of the necessary documents. I hope that clears it up.

BTW, I learned this the hard way and as a result I had to register my business twice. Doing it once was a real pain in the ass. Doing it twice was a great learning exerience and I was lucky enough to find the right place. The first three floors are commercial and the upper five stories are apartments. My office/apartment is on the fourth floor and I also rent a small warehouse in the building.

The requirement to operate from proper business premises only applies if there is a work permit involved. If you are in a position to use a wife or girlfriend as a 'front' then life is one hell of a lot easier. As the investor you can still own 49% but cannot be 'seen' to be working in the business. You can however be a cheque signatory hence keeping some control.

Archived