How to know title is "clean"?

cavanami

I was looking to buy a second hand motor scooter, but got to thinking, how do I know that the title is clean and clear of any debts or liens?

I can visualize me buying the scooter and a month later some bank shows up and hauls the scooter away as the "owner" owed money on it.

Of course, the "owner" is no where to be found!

In the USA, that titles are clearly marked, "no liens" so you can see it is a clear title.

How about here in Thailand?

Thanks to Stick, as he provided me with a place to check, Expat Motors.

http://www.expatmotors.co.th/paperwork.html

Paperwork: (We handle all paperwork on behalf of our clients)

To register a car in your own name you'll need the following:

Passport: copies of the photograph page and current visa page of your passport, a car can registered with any visa, tourist, non-immigrant "O" "B" or retirement visa. (all copies must be signed)

Work Permit: Copies of every page of your work permit (all copies must be signed). For those without a work permit read below.

Embassy Letter: For people without a work permit you'll need to visit your embassy and get a notary document confirming your name and address in Thailand. Typically these documents cost around 1,500 Baht and are easy to obtain, just explain to your embassy that you are purchasing a car and need the notary document for registration purposes. The immigration department can also issue a similar document.

To register a car in your Thai Husband's/Wife's name: We will need copies of his/her ID card and a copy of his/her house registration document "Tabian Baan". We will provide the all the other relevant documents to sign.

To Register a car in a company name: We will need a copy of the company registration papers, copies of the identification card, and house registration papers of the owner/owners of the company if the owner/s is Thai, or copies of the work permit/s and passport/s if the owner/s of the company is foreign.

Also bare in mind that all transfer and registration costs are double if a car is registered in a company name, and also the annual tax is doubled.

Archived