Listings of International Schools in Thailand???

Thanks lads for answering my query on Int. Schools in Bangkok. I wonder if you know of any internet sites listing these schools and/or their e-mail addresses.

(I am a primary teacher with a B. Ed and have 1/2 completed a Grad. Dip of App. Ling.- What are my chances do you think?)

P.S.This is a great site and I have had much pleasure in working my way through it. Keep up the good work. smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by christopher:

Thanks lads for answering my query on Int. Schools in Bangkok. I wonder if you know of any internet sites listing these schools and/or their e-mail addresses.

Most of the decent schools are members of ECIS - the European Council of International Schools - yes, it includes US system schools too. Go to this link and search for schools in Thailand and you will get a lengthy list with a detailed profile of each school and links to their websites.

You should also look under 'Events' for the dates and venues of Recruitment Fairs. There is one in Melbourne in January. Many of the schools get their staff through these though there are notable exceptions, but there are very good reasons why you should register with ECIS, Search Associates or ISS for their recruitment fairs rather than contact schools direct.

As far as your qualifications are concerned you should have no problems getting interviews and many schools will encourage and support (financially and timewise) your professional development.

LG

I don't know how many schools do this, but ISB (International School Bangkok) -- one of the oldest and best paying --likes to hire overseas. The reason is that the headmaster gets a trip abroad every summer. He'd usually go to the US west coast, Chicago, NYC and London. If you applied in Bangkok, you had less chance of being hired, since that might mean no trip abroad for the big daddy! A friend about 15 years ago got caught in another shaft. He applied on holiday in Bangkok, then flew back to the States. He got the job, but they told him since he'd applied here he was a local hire! No round trip plane fare, moving expenses etc. Cost him a bit of money out of his pocket.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

I don't know how many schools do this, but ISB (International School Bangkok) -- one of the oldest and best paying --likes to hire overseas. The reason is that the headmaster gets a trip abroad every summer. He'd usually go to the US west coast, Chicago, NYC and London. If you applied in Bangkok, you had less chance of being hired, since that might mean no trip abroad for the big daddy! A friend about 15 years ago got caught in another shaft. He applied on holiday in Bangkok, then flew back to the States. He got the job, but they told him since he'd applied here he was a local hire! No round trip plane fare, moving expenses etc. Cost him a bit of money out of his pocket.

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

Although international schools are not generally meant to operate at a profit, they are very budget conscious, and most would be happy to recruit locally, before the recruitment fairs, for exactly the reasons you mention - there should still be enough vacancies to ensure the trips! ISB's budget must be so much bigger that all the rest that I don't suppose they worry so much.

For the prospective teacher, the choice is between applying directly to the school, especially if already in country, and accepting the local hire deal in return for a much less competitive interview situation or flying to the recruitment fair at their own expense, shelling out for hotels etc and maybe having to beat off some stiff competition to get an overseas hire package. Generally the salaries, end of contract bonuses and medical will be the same, but there will usually be no contractual flights as you say, or moving expenses and some also offer a kind of signing on fee, a resettlement package or whatever.

Probably most important of all, not many schools offer housing allowances to local hire candidates. Thailand seems to be better than most places in this respect, with one school offering B20,000 per month though this is still considerably lower than the overseas hire allowance.

LG

Christopher,

International School Bangkok(ISB) is based on US curriculum and is considered to be the best and most expensive to attend in Thailand.

This beautiful and costly school has high standards on their teachers with great pay and benefits. You can try their website at www.isb.ac.th for more complete information.

Teaching at international schools is viable and sort after career choice for many wannabe teachers in Thailand. They pay well with great benefits but demands high standards and qualifications.

Good luck.

Not meant to be profit making? Wonder why it costs as much for one year at Ruamruedee as for the entire 4 year BBA programme at Thammasat -- an all-English international degree programme. (Chula's BBA costs twice as much as Thammasat's and isn't as highly regarded, since Thammasat's was the first by 8 years and has more international recognition.)

Archived