Scooter Rental in Pattaya?

Neon Ninja

I'm considering renting one of these things this trip to cart my fat ass around.

I've noticed that (at least with Thai drivers), that scooter drivers seem to park in any available free spot; particularly when parked along the soi's between Beach and second roads. As a Farang, am I almost guaranteed a ticket/bribe for doing the same thing?

I've read a lot of threads here and elsewhere that you should lock your bike at all times. Ok, what do I lock it TO exactly? Am I just locking one of the tires to the frame?

Do I lock the frame to some stationary object like a telephone pole? None of the Thai's seem to do this...

If it's just locking a wheel to the frame, couldn't a couple of guys just pick the bike up and throw it in the back of a pickup?

Assuming I lock the bike properly, how safe will the bike be in a hotel parking area? (specifically the Lek hotel, where I will be staying) Can I just expect the bike to be gone in the morning? Should I give the hotel security guard some bribe to have him "watch" the bike?

Lots of questions, much confusion! :(

Thank you for any and all assistance!

-=/NN

NN,

Hey man, I just did the same thing you're doing not too long ago. I rented a motorbike from a little business on Second rd.

Step 1) Locking the bike steering. Just make sure to lock the steering to the left when turning it off. You do this by turning the key ALL the way to the left. Check to make sure its locked in place.

Step 2) Lock the ignition cover. One edge of your key will have a small octogon shape. Stick this over the ignition key hole and close the cover.

I dont see a need to lock the bike to a post or anything, that seems to be a bit of overkill. If you're really paranoid, go for it.

You may want to lock your helmet to the bike seat. Just open the seat and hook the helmet in there and smack it closed.

Make sure you and your passenger wear helmets. You can get fined or worse without one.

Your hotel should already have somebody hired to perform half-ass security. I dont see a need to pay this person to look after the bike.

I highly recommend parking in designated parking spots when available. I had no problem on the Sois or on beach and 2d rd. Might not want to leave it away from your hotel for extended periods.

A few concerns I have for next time will be 1) Insurance and 2) licensing or a permit. (Neither of which I had)

Dont worry too much, just use some common sense and it will be OK.

Thanks for the info!

:beer:

I've heard that nobody will insure scooters/motor bikes over there (at least any sort of real insurance).

I'm looking into generic travel insurance for the next trip, hopefully there is a travel ins. policy that will cover motorbike wrecks.

As far as a license, I've heard that none of the rental places really ask for it. I picked up an "International Drving Permit" from AAA, cost like $20 or less, just in case. (I hope nobody notices that I DON'T have the "motorbike" optional licensing.) :shocked:

Anyhow, thanks again!!

-=/NN

On my last trip (ok it was a while ago) I stayed at Eden Hotel which I really liked but it is a little far from the action so I wanted a scooter. The hotel took care of getting me a scooter at no more cost than I would have paid in town (I checked) and they did not want my passport or anything so it was very convenient. I parked anywhere I could find space except where the moto-taxi drivers hang and had no problems. Locked it as described above including a chain around the tire to the frame. I had no problems at all and it was very convenient. I stayed away from heavy traffic scenarios and was super cautious. Great feeling riding home late on a warm night with your new friend hanging on your back.

Don't rent from around the Lek or Beach Rd, much higher prices. You can make much better deals around Soi Buakhow. PM me if you want specifics. Don't rent a brand new bike; too much a target. Rent a decent one with a few KM on the clock. Check the tires and brakes before you accept it and make sure to note any existing damage of marks on the contract.

The Lek security is OK, give him a tip at the outset and he'll remember the bike.

Beware of going against the one-way out of the Lek parking lot to 2nd Rd, just cost a friend a B500 fine, the cops are frequently on the lookout there.

On Beach Rd and 2nd Rd, park only in the slots marked for motorbikes. Beach Rd is continuously patrolled with a truck onto which they quickly load offending bikes, I've had a few close calls. Be especially careful about not parking in some of the large boxes meant for buses. Some of the motorbike rental mafia along Beach Rd will mess with your bike if you park in a space they consider theirs. Not worth the hassle to argue.

Don't forget to NEVER follow a Tuk-Tuk closely!

Neon Ninja...

Most rental companies are honest, however, there have been incidents of rental motos being stolen by the rental company. The renter may have locked the bike with a lock provided by the company, but rental companies always keep a spare key. Of course the renter has to pay for the 'stolen' moto.

As previously suggested, always lock the bike and if it has a disc brake, place the lock through one of the holes in the disc. IF the rental company provides you with a lock, be on the cautious side and DON'T use that lock. Buy your own lock..they are not expensive...and use it!

Archived