Wow! Flights to BKK from the US at $900...!?!?

TheCorinthian

Very surprised to see a local mob advertising BKK return for under 900 Pacific Pesos (currently around 65 cents to the US dollar ..) - undoubtedly some hideous route (Brissie to Auckland then on to BKK - great ...) during the hot season, but still a cheap fare given our dollar. As mentioned, the airlines arent paying as much for fuel atm, and if Qantas are any guide, they arent paying much for maintenance either .... :banghead:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ANZ and Qantas are paying too much for fuel at the moment, that's part of the problem.

Google News either airline's name and 'fuel hedging' to find out. They both got unlucky in recent deals and are now paying over the top.

Nevertheless, as Sir Geoff Roberts (ANZ) would have said, "We must put arses in seats!" Or something like that.

For those here that have worked in, or are currently working for an airline, I know employees travel on their airlines for a greatly reduced fare or for free, but do airlines still offer lifetime passes to employees and their spouses on retirement. My father used to date a lady whose deceased husband worked for United and she alsways travelled for free, usually getting upgraded to first class when it was available. She recently died at 89 years of age but outlived her husband by 33 years and got full use of that perk.

Yes....at retirement or if the company offers early outs with passes then the employee and spouse, parents of the employee(if still alive) and kids under 21 or under 25 if still in school will recieve passes for the employees lifetime.

If the spouse outlives the employee, I'm not sure if he/she continues to fly or not. I am speaking about Northworst only. It's all what the airline offers the employee. (Which isn't a whole hell of alot these days.)

Assuming that you don't take an early retirement package offered, how long do you have to work for NWA to get the passes. In other words, what is the minimum number of years you have to work at NWA before receiving a pass?

Without taking early retirement (55) and getting a package deal that includes the passes I believe the earliest retirement is age 62, which would include 'retiree flight passes'. I've 7 years to get mine. If the retirement is still there by that time now they've 'merged' with Delta. We'll see. Supposedly all retirements benefits will be honored. To be 'vested' in the retirement plan I believe you need to work 5 years for the company.

Dang! The last company I worked for (8 years) gave me one year to use the "points" I'd accrued. At least a half-dozen trips to Bangers, and I used only one.

I know some airline staff can't be bothered with standby travel anymore, opting to pay for everything possible by cc and accumulate miles.

I myself am guilty of buying a biz class ticket home from BKK when I could have flown for free in coach, just 'cuz I liked the other airline's schedule better (and to avoid the hassle). I learned something too - even if you pay, you still get treated like shit!

Archived