Gone Fishing--Another Village Life Tale--part 10

Central Scrutinizer

Hnady,

Yep. Had the temporary tattoo done one time before on Jomtien. (After writing this Day at the Beach story) And for some reason my lady got pissed off I had it done. Some bad luck shit or something she said. I'll have to be on the look-out for these charts being sold on Pattaya beach area. Wouldn't mind getting my hands on the salt and fresh water fish charts. What'd they cost? If I remember correctly the laminated map of Thailand was very cheap. 50 baht I think I haggled down to from 100 or 80. Something like that. I've yet to find or run across any websites dealing with aquatic and land animals in Thailand, nor a place where they show all the plant life of Thailand. Think I'll try the Museum of Natural History websites next.

Cent

Cent:

I only paid 50 baht for the chart (sometimes remember to write down what I pay for things). I don't think that I even had to bargain for it. Looks like I paid 100 Baht to let the birds out that day too. You'd think that they would've all learnt by now not to get caught. Don't remember what I paid for the map, but think around 50-100 Baht.

I'd like to see a tree and a bird identification chart too.

Thanks for the email

Handy

• 2 weeks later...

Handy,

Thanks for the url for the Thai fish. I thik, after going through the chart, that the rice pond sneaky little bastards are "Siamese Glassfish". The only other fish that comes close, and as you said it's hard to see the scale/size, is "Smith's Barb". But I agree. Probably the small glassfish.

Interesting site, if you freshwater fish in Thailand.

Hopefully I never snag these buggers.

1.) Armed Spiny Eel

(armed how?)

2.) Fire Spiny Eel

3.) Freshwater Stingray

4.) Freshwater Batfish (Eh? What the hell is that?)

5.) Khuli Loach

6.) Swamp Eel

7.) Blotched Snakehead Fish

(One ugly damn fish)

Some funky looking fish over there! :-)

Cent

Cent:

Eels are pretty ugly for sure. Saw a disgusting method of catching them once in a movie.

I ate a snakehead fish once. It was recommended by my taxi driver/guide. As he assured me, they are good eating. Because of that they have been over fished and are very scarce right now. They even fried up the spine. the bones and head and served it on the platter with the fillets. I assume that was to prove that you actually got a snakehead fish which you paid extra for.

Amazing variety of fish. Must be the warm water. Surprizing to see a freshwater ray too.

What's your next target fish? Maybe a snakehead?

Handy,

Cent:

What would mankind be without plants? I checked out that part of the site. Would like to see the giant water lilies someday. Others look familiar but the names are not familiar. Some are very close to north american plants like the bullrush and duckweed. The morning glory seems to be up to it's old tricks there too, damn hard to get rid of those things.

Handy

Handy,

Yes. I've seen the morning glories. It's actually a flower which always brings me back to childhood when I see and smell them. They grew all over a fence in our yard, which I remember from when I was very young. (Around 4 or 5 yrs old) Have one hanging from the ceiling in the front porch of the village house.

I love the names of the plants. Alligator Weed, Sessile Joyweed, Water Velvet, Giant Bacopa, Buffalo Grass, Asiatic Ennywort, Horn Fern, Elephant Ear, Umbrella Sedge, Nut Grass/Cocograss, Water Hyacinth, Egyptian Papyrus, Burhead, Frog Bit, Water Poppy, Mash Henna, Water Clover, Water Primrose, Knot Weed, Lotus, Pickerel Weed, Water Lettuce, Bulrush, Ox's Tough Purlane, Duck Weed, Goose Weed, Giant Water Lily, Yellow Eyed Grass, American Weed even.

Thanks for getting me that url. Now I know what the hell some of this stuff is named. You'll see it in my stories for sure. It's a big help when writing to be able to say/name exactly what the heck you are seeing. Or catching when fishing! :-)

Now if I could only find a site with the birds of Thailand! I went to an aviary in Malaysia once recently with a friend of mine. A lot of the birds there were also Thai birds. But at the time I didn't have a notepad and pen with me, so I didn't have the chance to write the names of these birds down for future reference.

Thanks Handy,

Cent

Cent:

Apparently there are several hundred types of birds in Thailand. The links below are probably for the most common types. I'm pretty sure you can pick up a chart of these on Pattaya Beach.

http://www.tu.ac.th/usr/bird/bird.htm

http://www.levantenet.com/wildlifefund/gallery/

I guess roosters don't count.

I hope to hear about some of these in future stories.

Handy

Archived