More Supercross :)

Ryder

Pichit MotorCross.

This event was a lot better in some ways than the last supercross at Uttaradit. The first half of the day was cloudy, giving respite from the sun.

The ground resembled something from the trenches of WW1 though as the rain had saturated the place.

As we walked the track the sound of heavy farm machinery and earth movers rumbled on as they worked to soak up the waterlogged areas. Corners were cut open to aid them as the mid-day start closed in...

The primary jump was certainly worthy.

As was the length of the track. About 1 km or perhaps slightly less we reckoned.

It was warm-up time by about 10:30 and the earth movers soon had to contend with scramblers buzzing past them as they worked frantically to get the place dried out!

By mid-day warm-up riding was over and it was race-time.

Oh what fun they had!

It was slippin' and sliding bikers everywhere!

The first race was a challenge as it was still soggy out there.

At the end of lap one the big jump awaited.

Our riding champion Boi made a near fatal error on the big jump at the lap-line. (1:37)

His take-off was just out of line and he landed across the edge, nearly ended up toppling the bike off the hillock. That would of been nasty having the bike tumbling into you.

He held it steady on landing and almost self-rescued but a passing biker twatted the throttle sending the bike sliding down the jump hill further. The race was over for Boi on this bike. The throttle cable was near-severed and the plastic shroud was ripped open. The achilles heel was cut and we'd need spares to continue this days racing...

But nobody brings spares to these races. We tramped around mob-handed but no joy. It's run what you bring and fix it at the shop later.

I think Boi was very upset as it was my buddy's bike he'd borrowed and had lost face in 'failing him'. But knocks and tumbles are the inherent groove with this and my mate was completely on his side and not angry.

We were spectators more now and I lost a bit of my enthusiasm for the day but figured I might as well get some footage for you folks, as the layout of the track was nice enough.

The day heated up a bit after this race and then came the smaller bikes, then pillion racing! This was fun to watch, some of them even got some air-time on the jumps! :)

No big injuries, altough there were tons of close calls all ended well. By five o'clock we were on the road back home. Boi's pride was bruised but at least he was uninjured.

Only three weeks previous an experienced farang had broken his leg in one of the dirt races, and he was wearing full armour. So it makes you aware of your mortality when you see these things go on and not hurt people badly.

Like boys with our dangerous toys :)

The video's a long one, but I managed to whing a complete music track on it. The Youtubers banned it citing copyright but after I gave them some libertarian attitude and explaining they

relented. Hope you enjoy it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHfc7INQYzU

Next event is early May, this times it's enduro. :)

Harder for me to follow the action, which means I've got to chase down the bikes combat photographer style :o

But it's a lot more interesting on the eye and lens I think than supercross style.

Archived