A New Chapter in the Thai Desire to be Japanese

preahko

<< a graduate of a prestigious university in Chiang Mai province >>

There is only one that I would consider "prestigious". No idea what a Daily News writer might think. Daily News is only a step above Thai Rot. Also, I get pissed off at what the press considers "hi-so". Chinese-Thais having money does not automatically make them hi-so, anymore than the nouveau riche are accepted as "society" in the west. Ah, but I'm forgetting that Thailand is a "Buddhist nation" and money is not valued here. Also, the majority of the Thai journalists are themselves Chinese-Thais.

:rolleyes:

I didn't know Thailand had a prestigious university unless of course #384 in the world counts as prestigious...

I don't blame thais desire to share their bed with the japanese; with thier cultures, habits, feminine traits and characteristics, they are already there...

It's the only two countries in the world where their male populations don't shave....

CB

...and that was only after greenpeace and the other treehuggers started to make a stink as tuna-fish juice is, rather obviously, bad news for the tuna fish population, already under threat from the sushi industry...

the used-panty sellers for a while tried anchovy paste but the used-panty buyers didn't fall for that conceit...

Presitigious by Thai standards, meaning how tough it is to get in. e.g. Unless you are a politician's kid, it takes a score of 98% and above on the nationwide entrance exam to get into Chulalongkorn University, about 96% up for Thammasat. Mahidol, Kasetsart, Chiang Mai and the rest trail along behind. A degree from anyone of them takes work.

Rachaphat universities are easy to get into, while Ramkhamheng and the private unies are open admission. Pay the money and you're a student. Show up in class once in a while, and you graduate.

The criteria for opening a private university in Thailand are bizarre. First start a "college" with a couple of faculties. Then expand the number of faculties and offer some kind of a master degree. You get inspected by the ministry and ... bingo! You're a university. Some of them wouldn't even be accredited as junior colleges in the US.

:doah:

Watch Karaboa's "Mahai'lai, mahalawk" some time and have a Thai translate for you, if need be.

Archived