Trying to learn thai script...

Tycona

I am trying to learn thai script (started yesterday) and so I have been fooling around a bit with written thai.

I put "I love you" into the parsit translation engine and the result it gave me was

©Ñ¹ÃÑ¡¤Ø³

which according to my "studies" means

"chun luk koon"

Is this correct? I was expecting to get

"pom rak koon"

I can see that RAK pronounces a bit like LUK

but CHUN = POM? no way smile.gif

Any help is appreciated.

You are headed in the right direction...IMHO learning the Thai alphabet the three classes of vowels and consanants and the attending tonal rules is the only proper way to learn Thai.It is a long and anoying process but worth if you really want to speak the language. Learning it phonetically only leads to endless repsonses from Thai people... Alai na?-

Ie Excuse me?...what the are you saying?-There are several excellent CD Roms both for just the Thai alphabet and one (forget the name) that is an interactive CD-It has multiple choice ,reading you can hear pronunciation-I used it 4-5 years ago--quite excellent. Both are I believe available at Asia Books and I remember one on the Bangkok Post Intenet version of the paper.

Female speaking-I love you= Shan lak koon ..(but don't believe it)

Male=pom lak koon

I have found that speaing the language more or less fluently opens up enormous advantages in business-women etc etc- Athtough the lower classes,bar girls and some regular women are always supicious of farangs that speak Thai very very well-You know too much-Have Thai wife... you butterfly... no matter what your real circmustance is...

better to just agree...

Hi,

©Ñ¹ can be used by both males and females (depending on the circumstance), so that's most probably why Parsit picked it as their translation for 'I' instead of ¼Ã.

As with most translation software, you'll most likely need to tidy it up yourself afterwards to get it to make sense.

Thanks for your input. I bought the book "Teach yourself Thai" by David Smyth at amazon and it seems to be pretty good. I didn't know it also had a audio tape until I started reading it so I have now also ordered the tape.

For me the phonetical method of learning thai is somewhat complicated as I am not a native english speaker (most books are in English) so learning the script and the tones (from tape) would be a good approach for me.

David Smyth also recommends learning the script if you are serious about learning thai. Right now I am trying to recognize some of the various vowels/consonants in written thai and also reproducing them on paper...

I have the time and will take it easy. Just having fun while away from LOS wink.gif

Cheers,

Tycona.

Hi,

Thanks. Just curious: you wrote ¼à . I recognize it as P and M consonants. Isn't an 'O' missing in here assuming you refering to POM? I tried typing MILK in Parsit and it also comes out as NM instead of NOM. Is "O" a dead vowel? This is interesting stuff smile.gif

Cheers,

Tycona.

Archived