Paperback Novels set in Thailand ?

I have been reading short stories and parts of books on the net about Thailand. There seem many writers wanting to write stories set in Thailand. Thinking Turgenyev need not moving in his grave. I want to know about good writers. Not fantastic classical but like the Wilbur Smith and the Forsyt-the Jackal man. I am not looking for great literature but just good reading for fun on the beach. Have not read 'The Beach' saw film with American De Capirioni- not to good - make the Thai look like pirate and the backpacking just the junkies. Is against law to writing about royal and princes? We shot ours !

Please be giving good book and reading recommendations.

Also I am loving Jazz. Where in Thailand ??

Col.Stock(retiring)

current non "sanuk" books,

The Backpacker by John Harris

Monkeys in the Rain (not sure author)

others are

Chris Moore has done a lot my favorite is "God of Darkness"

also Killing Smile & Bewitching Smile

Good Morning Buddha by Phra Peter Pannapadipo

The Big Mango Jake Needham

Private Dancer by Stephen Leather (avail online at www.stephenleather.com)

Tin Tin in Thailand

and essential for all sanuker

Sexually Transmitted Deseases their symtoms, occurances and treatments by Ivan Ichinob

cheers

SiLeakHunt.

Thank you for your informations !

I have read the first two chapters of The Big Mango but was not my cup of the tea! I get bored when authors use words like arsehole ?

Anyway have tried Mr Leather and is very impressing !

I am thinking that this must be the best author! Only the Madonna woman has been saying in London that in art there is no 'best' just opinion !

Have not tried C G Moore I believe he has written many !

Cheers

Yuri(Boris)

One of John le Carre's books, I think it's "The Secret Pilgrim," is really a group of short stories, in the form of an agent's reminiscences. One of them is set in Thailand, mostly Bangkok. It was good.

Archived